Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#601272 28/03/17 07:59 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
To give the weapon usage in most rogue builds why don't we allow it to work with the backstab talent. This would create a new style of rogue which is actually squishier than the dual wielding rogue so i'd like to see how good it is even in only one patch.

Rogues are the best
Why only spears?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
they've been converted back to dex making it really tricky to get it to work in anything but a rogue + warfare hybrid.

Rogues are the best
I hadn't noticed this change. If that's the case, your suggestion makes sense. Although this inconsistency bothers me: technically you should be able to backstab with any "piercing" weapon (i.e. not a mace, not a staff, etc).

old hand
old hand
I wonder if just every attack against an enemy's backside should have some kind of damage bonus (like 20%). Bonking someone in the back of the head with a mace is about as effective as stabbing them. Rogue damage needs to be tweaked of course to balance for that.

Don't think spears should have full on backstab, but all scoundrel skills should work with them.

enthusiast
enthusiast
For the sake of mechanical consistency, the rule should be "any Dex scaling weapon".

That means Dagger, Spears, and Bows/Crossbows when attacking from close enough(like Throwing Dagger).

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
thats similar to my thoughts @consistency

Last edited by Bullethose; 28/03/17 07:11 PM.

Rogues are the best
I just don't see the reasoning behind making Spears a Dex weapon to begin with. It's hard to imagine a stealthy rogue-type carrying around a huge spear....

In any case, I'm all for consistency. I have a complicated proposal which everyone might dislike but here is the idea:

Ranged attacks:

If ranged attack is physical (bows, throwing knife): Dex scales dmg.
If ranged attack is magical (elemental dmg on bows, wands, staff of magus skill): Int scales magic dmg and Dex scales physical dmg.

Melee attacks:

If melee attack is physical (every melee weapon except staff): Str scales dmg.
If melee attack is magical (any elemental dmg melee weapon, staff): Int scales magic dmg, Str scales physical dmg.

In this model the dmg scaling is based on the particular type of damage, regardless of weapon type.

In addition, backstab (if it is to be kept as a Talent choice) should only apply bonuses to physical dmg, and should apply only to melee attacks with Daggers, Swords, and Spears (i.e. weapons that you can actually stab with).

I see the point about hitting someone in the back of the head with a mace, etc, and this makes sense. The only thing that bothers me about that is the "stab" part of backstab. Maybe if they got rid of the backstab talent altogether, then all attacks from behind could get some bonus as you guys were saying. That would make sense, too.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by vivalafai
I just don't see the reasoning behind making Spears a Dex weapon to begin with. It's hard to imagine a stealthy rogue-type carrying around a huge spear....

In any case, I'm all for consistency. I have a complicated proposal which everyone might dislike but here is the idea:

Ranged attacks:

If ranged attack is physical (bows, throwing knife): Dex scales dmg.
If ranged attack is magical (elemental dmg on bows, wands, staff of magus skill): Int scales magic dmg and Dex scales physical dmg.

Melee attacks:

If melee attack is physical (every melee weapon except staff): Str scales dmg.
If melee attack is magical (any elemental dmg melee weapon, staff): Int scales magic dmg, Str scales physical dmg.

In this model the dmg scaling is based on the particular type of damage, regardless of weapon type.

In addition, backstab (if it is to be kept as a Talent choice) should only apply bonuses to physical dmg, and should apply only to melee attacks with Daggers, Swords, and Spears (i.e. weapons that you can actually stab with).

I see the point about hitting someone in the back of the head with a mace, etc, and this makes sense. The only thing that bothers me about that is the "stab" part of backstab. Maybe if they got rid of the backstab talent altogether, then all attacks from behind could get some bonus as you guys were saying. That would make sense, too.

Like this. It's nice and intuitive.

The only issue with this model is that Dex no longer scales damage...this is difficult to address, unless maybe Dex can do something like scale Crit Dmg or Crit Chance for ANY weapon type. This makes sense especially if we take out Crit Chance from Wits, which I never liked to begin with. I always saw wits as "perception" for hidden out of combat things, so if wits only modifies "perception" and initiative, then that also gets rid of the problem with wits being "too strong".

N
old hand
old hand
N
The reason why they SHOULD keep Spears as a dex weapon is simple...

Because it allows Warfare combos with the Scoundrel as the main class... As the dagger being a low damage weapon that relies on backstabbing to do its damage doesn't mix well.

The issue is right now Spears don't mix well with the Scoundrel at all... Making it a real odd ball.

veteran
veteran
Weapons like spears are typical weapons who could go either with STR or DEX if I'm not mistaken. But currently they probably only work as a close range weapon for rangers? Or they would if archers could not shoot in melee combat.

I still think backstabing should be a dagger trait. But attacking from behind should always yield some kind of advantage to improve tactical possibilties.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Yeah you are right on track the only use for Spears (other than an odd Warfare build) is for Rangers to have a melee weapon.

Something they TYPICALLY don't have to resort to (and if you are switching to a spear as a Ranger... something seriously went wrong)... and in fact I think they are more powerful keeping to their bows anyway.

It is why allowing the Spear to count as range for the purpose of range skills was another suggestion I made a while ago... (as well as throwing daggers) to allow Ranger + Scoundrel builds.

veteran
veteran
I definitely agree that the Backstab talent should be removed and backstabbing should be made an inherent quality of weapons. This might mean needing to re-balance daggers more, but it is a change which should be made. The Talent Tax of Backstab is way too much in D:OS 2.

veteran
veteran
It makes even less sense now, because most weapons have their own trait/skill now.

Piercing weapons like spear and dagger could also deal a percentage of armor piercing damage, so vitality damage instead of only armor damage. Crushing weapons could deal extra damage to armor and slashing weapons would have a chance to cause bleeding even while armor not totally gone and definitive chance after armor is gone?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
It makes even less sense now, because most weapons have their own trait/skill now.

Piercing weapons like spear and dagger could also deal a percentage of armor piercing damage, so vitality damage instead of only armor damage. Crushing weapons could deal extra damage to armor and slashing weapons would have a chance to cause bleeding even while armor not totally gone and definitive chance after armor is gone?

That sounds kinda neat. Would be nice to see that into the game, but I'm pessimistic.

Hmmm... maybe Piercing damage could be 67% of damage to Physical Armor and 33% directly to health.

Crushing damage deals an extra 15-25% to physical armor, but no bonus once the armor is gone.

Slashing damage has a chance to cause bleeding regardless of Physical armor. Perhaps take that further and say that the Bleeding status effect itself is no longer blocked by Physical armor? Probably too much.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Baardvark
I wonder if just every attack against an enemy's backside should have some kind of damage bonus (like 20%). Bonking someone in the back of the head with a mace is about as effective as stabbing them. Rogue damage needs to be tweaked of course to balance for that.

Don't think spears should have full on backstab, but all scoundrel skills should work with them.
Blackjack is classic thief/thug weapon used from behind. not very piersing isnt it?
Concept of "backstab pierce" is a pure fantasy. Rather make talent "Dirty fighting" which means knowledge of anatomy(lore at least one?) and precise aim (dex at least 14?) cause an extra effect. Double dmg for small pierce weapons or single handed pierce/slash weapon. Stun for single handed crush weapon. Knockdown for two handed crush. Bleed for two handed pierce or slash weapons.

Then Dirty fighting efect/bonus depend on DEX so an rouge with a two handed club (str based) is harmless in face to face, then from behind is pretty nasty.
However, its clear that DOS2 goes way of casters and casual JRPG splash style of combat. Some weapon skills or different weapon dmg types are gone.
Well, ... maby next time.

Last edited by gGeo; 29/03/17 08:00 AM.
Originally Posted by gGeo
Originally Posted by Baardvark

Blackjack is classic thief/thug weapon used from behind. not very piersing isnt it?
Concept of "backstab pierce" is a pure fantasy. Rather make talent "Dirty fighting" which means knowledge of anatomy(lore at least one?) and precise aim (dex at least 14?) cause an extra effect. Double dmg for small pierce weapons or single handed pierce/slash weapon. Stun for single handed crush weapon. Knockdown for two handed crush. Bleed for two handed pierce or slash weapons.

Then Dirty fighting efect/bonus depend on DEX so an rouge with a two handed club (str based) is harmless in face to face, then from behind is pretty nasty.
However, its clear that DOS2 goes way of casters and casual JRPG splash style of combat. Some weapon skills or different weapon dmg types are gone.
Well, ... maby next time.

This makes a lot of sense. I don't think Dex should scale dmg at all. It should be important for things like this, and maybe generally improve accuracy and crit chance (precise aim).

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Honestly I like the 'assassin' talent that they had in DOS 1 before they removed it. it made it so any weapon could back stab. I think daggers and knives should be able to back stab without even having to use a talent point, and Back stab should make it so any one handed weapon can back stab.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ferrous
Honestly I like the 'assassin' talent that they had in DOS 1 before they removed it. it made it so any weapon could back stab. I think daggers and knives should be able to back stab without even having to use a talent point, and Back stab should make it so any one handed weapon can back stab.

Which would kill Daggers dead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard