Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R

Me and a friend have been playing the EE version over Steam for a few months now. Last friday (the 30th-ish) we tried playing, and the game would hang at the loading screen when trying to connect to each others games.
Previously, the connection then loading would be the usual fast speed, but now it can take upwards of 5 mins to join a game.
It basically makes it unplayable, with having to zone back and forth, reload saves, etc.

Neither of us have changed any hardware or software. Other steam games worth fine. We both have PC's well above what the game needs.
Perhaps if we just could not connect at all, it would make more sense..but it works, just takes WAY too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Support
Support

Could there have been an automatic firewall or anti-virus update? Did you double check settings, or try exiting out of any anti-virus program and any third party firewall you may be using? (the Windows firewall should be fine)

Are you both shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game, especially anything network related? One person had a problem connecting with a network mapping/monitoring program running, for example.

Have you tried swapping who was hosting? You can test in a new game, or transfer a save to the other player using email or Dropbox, etc.

Did you try different ways to connect? There is the Steam lobby, friend invites, Direct Connection (using an IP address or Server ID [that the host can get in the Connection Menu {hit Esc to bring up the menu in character creation or in game, or click the diamond icon at the top of the mini-map in game}]), or LAN (though if not on the same local network, that would require the use of VPN software, such as Hamachi or Tunngle).

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.

Try resetting your network adapters. That can fix a rare problem not being able to connect at all.
- click Start (or Search in Win 10), type cmd into the search box, right click Command Prompt and select run as administrator.
- type the following command and hit Enter
netsh winsock reset
- when that is done, there should be a message 'Winsock reset completed successfully'
- type exit and hit Enter, then reboot your computer.
For more details, see:
https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Resetting_Network_Adapter_(Winsock_Reset)

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Thanks for the reply Raze! I'll go through your suggestion in point for to keep it simple for us both smile

Firewalls/AV Programs: I only use the Windows (Win7) Firewall, and no other antivirus at all. Basically because everytime I tried one, it seriously messed my PC.
I aksed my friend, and she hasn't changed or manual updated either on her comp either. I will ask if there was an auto update in that time period.

Other programs, network related stuff: Yes, definitely closing everything today when we tried getting it to work again. As an aside, I HAD lots of things open some of the other times we played, and things worked perfectly.

Hosting: Tried that too. When I hosted, it took almost 5 mins for hers to load. Note, thats due to this Unknown Error, NOT a crappy PC. When things were working, I'd invite her, the game would prompt me that she joined, then within about 15-30 secs, she'd be in. Now, it gets to about 80% in the load bar..sits for about 2 mins, the loading bar goes away, and the only thing moving is the little spinny icon.
When she hosted and I joined, it was basically the same thing, just slightly faster (still over 4 mins to get in) on my end.

Ways to Connect: We were using the in game invite thing, then the steam lobby (all prior occasions). Today we tried direct connect as well as a VPN program called Evolve, which another forum post said worked for them with D:OS. Nothing was any improvement.

Verifying: Have both done that. Yet to try afterwards though. No mods of any kind are running.

Winsock Resetting: This seems to be the only option now. We will try that this morning.

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
You must be magic Raze! We didnt actually get to the Winsock resetting, but gave the game one more try yesterday and..it WORKED fine. Connecting was basically instant! No clue what the issue was, but so glad it is fine again smile
Thank you!

Support
Support

Your ISP(s) may have been having problems, or doing upgrades, etc. Anyway, I'm glad it is working now.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard