Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#605030 07/06/17 01:23 PM
Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
With the GM mode hitting in September, I am taking the time to ready content for my group as their GM. I am using a homebrew world and designing NPCs, factions and even dialogue and vignette scripts. I want to be able to copy and paste to expedite GM adventure creation.

I wonder what settings other folks are going to use for their games and how they will make that work in the framework of D:OS2.

The Default (world of Divinity)
Homebrew (tell me about your world)
Forgotten Realms (Lost Mines of Phandelver, etc.)
Greyhawk (oldie, but goodie)
Eberron (new kid on the block, IMO)
Other (what sort of world?)

So.. any GMs out there building a world from scratch? Or are you adapting an existing world for your adventures?

old hand
old hand
I want to do an Ultima setting in Britannia. Currently torn between doing a GM campaign or standalone adventure. I'll need to see the updated editor before I make my final decision.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Windemere
I want to do an Ultima setting in Britannia.

Nice! Either way you have a wealth of resources and maps available for importing.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, couldn't help but tweet this out to Larian when GM was unveiled. laugh

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by Windemere
I want to do an Ultima setting in Britannia. Currently torn between doing a GM campaign or standalone adventure. I'll need to see the updated editor before I make my final decision.

Bah, just do both man! laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by norD
Bah, just do both man! laugh

Not everyone can create 150 awesome looking areas in a few months. laugh

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
enthusiast
enthusiast
Gonna run a new homebrew campaign.
I actually already was building one again in NwN, but am going to use DOS2 now smile
It is going to be a "new world" scenario after some cataclysimic event in the "old world" and am still in the process of designing "the world".
I am already drawing maps and even writing vignettes though.
(And practice a bit in the DOS1 editor)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 07/06/17 07:18 PM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm likely to run a game.Custom setting. It'd be undead-centric, probably about a group of the undead trying to make a settlement for themselves in safety from humans. Might include other critters, but w/e. Any player races would be allowed, though, in theory. Just see how players reacted to the various stages of undead building up a 'life' for themselves and seeking equality with the living.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
[Linked Image]

Was considering using this one to start, maybe expanding it and labeling it out as the party explores. Goal here is to give a hex-crawl feel, while still maintaining a site based adventure series. I also wanted something re-usable and not too complicated. My players will complicate things with any luck and force me to be creative on the fly, as well as inspire the chapter from the weeks that follow.

Initially, I was going to use my main D&D campaign world, but that is a bit too much to implement, I want to go smaller more intimate scale. I tried to recreate aspects of my main setting in NWN. I had to water it down to a persistent dungeon that only referenced the lore obliquely, and while fun and enjoyed by a lot of folks, it wasn't exactly a recreation of D&D.

Last edited by Azmo; 08/06/17 01:33 AM.
Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
TraceChaos that sounds great. A bit of gothic horror mixed with a 'heroes of the downtrodden' trope?

And, Redunzgofasta.. That is a nifty map. What did you create that with? I particularly like the fonts & banners.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Azmo

And, Redunzgofasta.. That is a nifty map. What did you create that with? I particularly like the fonts & banners.

Thanks!
I used photoshop. Made the banners myself, but downloaded a few photoshopbrushes for the symbols (trees, hills etc).
The font is called "Biergarten" and can be downloaded from multiple free fonts sites.

Your map and idea indeed sounds like a lot of work and a large ammount of "on the fly" GM input if you give your players total freedom.
I intend to build as much as I can in the editor (main reason I am here) and take it as easy as a GM as I can.
I aim at exploration on the "huge"levels I intend to build and not so much of the worldmap.
I only hope I can work fast enough to keep up after the first "main" area has been completed.

Last edited by Redunzgofasta; 08/06/17 06:10 PM.

My GM Add-ons on Steam.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by TraceChaos
I'm likely to run a game.Custom setting. It'd be undead-centric, probably about a group of the undead trying to make a settlement for themselves in safety from humans. Might include other critters, but w/e. Any player races would be allowed, though, in theory. Just see how players reacted to the various stages of undead building up a 'life' for themselves and seeking equality with the living.

Sounds intriguing. Can be hard to make a one-location centric story have good pace and not get boring, but suppose there will be plenty of room to leave to go retrieve things for the settlement, make alliances, etc.

I'm considering converting a project I'd thought about for a while into a DND adventure. Originally it was going to be a sort of crowdsourced, text-based choose your own adventure story, but that sounded tough to pull off. The basic idea is a character from our reality goes to sleep and wakes up in a bizarre fantasy world. It's always unclear if he's just stuck in his psyche, or in an actual fantasy world. For example, the magic in this world is called "Lucidity." The overall tone would be weird and surreal (Welcome to Nightvale meets Hello from the Magic Tavern), with more of a focus on roleplay than combat.

Not entirely sure who the other players would play as, but would be fun if they were all rather unconventional. For example, would be cool if one of the other players was a sort of semi-evil twin of the first player. Another player might be some kind of animal or shapeshifter.

The main format would be a major decision in some kind of weird encounter. For example, a group of goblins might come up to the group, speaking a gibberish language and presenting a bunch of strange things to eat. What the players eat would grant various different effects and powers. A more combat focused encounter might involve finding a multi-headed dragon (named Hiram McDaniels of course), each head representing a different emotion. You'd have an opportunity to cut off one of the heads, which change the encounter according to which head you chose.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Azmo
TraceChaos that sounds great. A bit of gothic horror mixed with a 'heroes of the downtrodden' trope?

In theory, though in PRACTICE the players could end up, y'know, deciding to attack the town, or so on. But the idea is in fact for the players to be heroes for the peaceful undead and help them find ways to handle, say, any particular hungers they might have.

Originally Posted by Baardvark
Originally Posted by TraceChaos

Sounds intriguing. Can be hard to make a one-location centric story have good pace and not get boring, but suppose there will be plenty of room to leave to go retrieve things for the settlement, make alliances, etc.

I'm considering converting a project I'd thought about for a while into a DND adventure. Originally it was going to be a sort of crowdsourced, text-based choose your own adventure story, but that sounded tough to pull off. The basic idea is a character from our reality goes to sleep and wakes up in a bizarre fantasy world. It's always unclear if he's just stuck in his psyche, or in an actual fantasy world. For example, the magic in this world is called "Lucidity." The overall tone would be weird and surreal (Welcome to Nightvale meets Hello from the Magic Tavern), with more of a focus on roleplay than combat.

Not entirely sure who the other players would play as, but would be fun if they were all rather unconventional. For example, would be cool if one of the other players was a sort of semi-evil twin of the first player. Another player might be some kind of animal or shapeshifter.

The main format would be a major decision in some kind of weird encounter. For example, a group of goblins might come up to the group, speaking a gibberish language and presenting a bunch of strange things to eat. What the players eat would grant various different effects and powers. A more combat focused encounter might involve finding a multi-headed dragon (named Hiram McDaniels of course), each head representing a different emotion. You'd have an opportunity to cut off one of the heads, which change the encounter according to which head you chose.

Yeah, the idea would be that they'd go on relatively long treks out into the wilderness, or to other cities here and there to get supplies, destroy enemies, find artifacts and so on. And then there'd, in theory, evenb e different versions of the undead settlement where the party has either been gone or there's beena timeskip or it's the middle of an attack by some army or another...

That story soudns really cool actually, and I like the concept. I personally might prefer something that ambitious to in fact be a CYOA story type deal like some other games out on the market, but whent here's theoretically easier tools to use than coding something like that from the groudn up, might as well use them if it'll still be close enough.

Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The other map I made a while ago and is more detailed. Here is a piece of it. I am not sure which one I should use. I do like hexmaps.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Azmo; 09/06/17 12:50 AM.
old hand
old hand
I love those old school looking maps, Azmo. smile

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
Azmo Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks!
They really show my age and my roots.

I have been playing D&D since 1981 and I am going to be converting one of my settings to the tools for D:OS2. I am a crafter and make a lot of terrain so I cannot wait to get in and use those tools to make wilderness and urban adventure locales. Just need a world to house them in, story wise.

old hand
old hand
Heh, not far from my first introduction to AD&D. wink No wonder they appeal to me.

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
apprentice
apprentice
New here, so hello smile

I will be running games in a custom world, this one to be exact:

http://i.imgur.com/3Pa8Lrr.jpg

This is a culmination of over 30 years of pen and paper, roll20, NWN1&2 and dabbling in other settings to tell my stories.

I'm hoping this will be the platform that allows me to do it as best I can.

old hand
old hand
Neat, what did you use to make that map, Chili?

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Chili1179
New here, so hello smile

I will be running games in a custom world, this one to be exact:

http://i.imgur.com/3Pa8Lrr.jpg

This is a culmination of over 30 years of pen and paper, roll20, NWN1&2 and dabbling in other settings to tell my stories.

I'm hoping this will be the platform that allows me to do it as best I can.

Welcome! Very evocative map. Love the names and how the geography alone tells a story. I'm imaging an island nation split by a catastrophic earthquake that created the dark scar. This cut the island in half, leading to the development of two kingdoms, a more sparsely populated, frontier nation on the left, and the more populated nation on the right. Eventually the nations discovered various ways to reconnect through the mountains, but the nations were forever separated and in a state of perpetual war/cold war.

At least that's the story the map tells me :P Probably an even better set of stories told over 30 years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard