Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
In this section of the preset review series I will discuss how the presets interact with the 2 human companions Loshe and Ifan. I will not be discusing their source skills as that might lead into minor spoiler teritory with Loshe.

The viability of human companions has increased dramaticaly with the addition of the tutorial level which makes reaching level 2 easier.
This means that when you pick up your human companion at level 2 you have the obtion to adjust the stats of weaker presets such as the fighter to be more similar with the stats the non human variants would have had.

1)Warfare based presets

a)Fighter

The fighter preset is not terrible for the human companions. I am shocked to discover this,after realizing through out this vloging series that I may have been using this preset to build the wrong kind of character.

With the base stats of a human fighter,I discovered it is very easy to build into a support Inquisitor as discused in my review of how the fighter preset interacts with the Red Prince or into either a generic sword and board or paladin like fighter.

Not investing in the inteligence stat feels like a massive loss for me as it diminishes the value you gain from the free fortify.
Overall I rate the fighter preset very weak toward the role it is advertised to have,but applaud it for it's potential as a crowd control/buff support provider.

b)Inquisitor

As mentioned in previous reviews,you do not want to use a staff with this preset due to the heavy anti-synergi between skills and weapon.
The only reason why you would ever pick a human inquisitor over a dwarven or elven inquisitor is because of the Encourage racial and the ability to chose on what type of melee weapon setups you want to be good with.

c) Battlemage and Knight

For the human companions these presets are very good,clean stats,very easy to customize. The human racial will have you thinking on whether you should power up the party before you go crack some skulls or let the human do the powering up bit and you just go crack some skulls.

2)Finesse based presets

a) Rogue

A very good preset for the human race,except for one fault - human rogues base stat involve +1 bartering and +1 thievery which at first seem like a good combo, but it is a very faulty combo.

If someone you robbed aproaches any party member with 0 persuasion, unless you get really lucky, you will be in trouble. But if you can spend all the cash to get the stuff you need asap,all is good.

b)Shadowblade

Not even the human race can redeem this preset. There are viable pathways with which this preset can be made usefull, but these pathways are more easily obtained through other presets.

c)Ranger and wayfarer

These 2 presets serve as very good basis for building both a ranged mixed damage dealer and pure damage dealer. The advantage of puting any of these presets on a human is the fact that you get the Encourage ability.

3) Spellcasters

a)Wizzard,Enchanter and Witch

Humans are a better choice than dwarf and lizzard for these presets and are on par with elves equiped with these presets. The advantage of picking humans over elves is that the stat lines human get from the spellcasting trinity is that it is easier to make them into pure magic damage dealers rather than elves,where not taking up bows is crazy.

b)Conjurer

Another preset that has been buffed for companions due to the adition of the tutorial level. It can be leveled to mimic the inate advantages of either Sebile or Beast, but with access to the Encourage skill.

4) Hibrids

a)Cleric

Like with a lizzard companion the skills synergise very well and the stats are somewhere between mediocre and bad, but the racial is more usefull than that of the lizzard and a level in polymorph does not feel as dire on a human as they do on a lizzard.

b)Metamorph

This,in my opinion is the best preset for a human. Has greater potential than both the dwarf and elf to be a very good skirmisher (a character that is good with both greatswords and longbows) for those who are willing to swap the weapons of their characters in combat and not be annoyed by this notion.

This preset is also a good alternative to the knight, this is more crowd control oriented as opposed to the knight which seems more burst damage orientated due to his access to the rage skill.

veteran
veteran
The description of Fortify specifically does not say that it gets bonuses from Intelligence, and after a very brief test indeed I see no difference in how much it gives when the caster has 11-15 Intelligence.

And I still can't give these posts all that much credibility because of the excessive amount of influence you give the racial +2 to a stat. Because that is all it is, just a single +2. That is all. One +2.

What do you mean when are you talking about "stat lines"? This is not like other games (JRPG's mostly) where stat growth is automatic and different characters gain power in different stats at different rates, so Bob's auto-stat-growth leads him to being a fighter and Mary's auto-stat-growth leads her to being a mage. We're talking about a one-time +2.

I also fail to understand how Lizards are poor spellcasters despite having +2 INT. I can only assume that your position is that +2 Wit from humans is the single most important thing.

old hand
old hand
I have to agree with Stabbey that +2 in a starting attribute isn't worth writing a whole preset guide about. Sure, it's a slight bonus if your going to invest into the same attribute you start with, but by even level 5 (nevermind way farther into the game), those attributes will hardly be noticeable.

D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey

What do you mean when are you talking about "stat lines"? This is not like other games (JRPG's mostly) where stat growth is automatic and different characters gain power in different stats at different rates, so Bob's auto-stat-growth leads him to being a fighter and Mary's auto-stat-growth leads her to being a mage. We're talking about a one-time +2.

When I say that line,I mean the stats you wind up with after you add the stats gained from the preset with the stats gained from the racial.

Originally Posted by Stabbey

I also fail to understand how Lizards are poor spellcasters despite having +2 INT. I can only assume that your position is that +2 Wit from humans is the single most important thing.

Actualy the most important thing for me when comparing lizzards with human was the fact that lizzards get fire breath and human's get encourage. If you also take into consideration just how far back human spellcasters are sent during combat you will see it all boils down to range and effect of the activatable racial (lizzard breath creates a small obstacle in front of caster and deals damage to whoever is in front of cast,while encourage has larger range than lizzard breath and gives +1 in all damage stats).

Also I give weight to the +2 racial because the stats gained from racials can help you turn around bad presets at early levels, while if you ignore your starting stats it will take longer for your chosen character to behave within a party the way you want it to.

One instance is lizzard with fighter,where you could buff inteligence to gain most benefits from using geomancy, hidrosophy and staves in combat, while another instance is Shadowblade and dwarf racial, where by level 2 you gain 1 point in warfare and ditch dagger and that free backlash spell for something more befiting a Marauder (bandit who relies on brute strenght rahter than finesse).

If I were to chose an elf instead of a lizzard to host the fighter preset, I would have to wait until level 3,to be able to do as much damage as a lizzard could with the staff and as fast as that lizzard could.

potential stats level 3 lizzard fighter,with staff in mind as main weapon,no use of polymorh bonus
11 str
10 fin
14 int
12 con
10 memory
12 wits

potential stats level 3 elf fighter,with staff in mind as main weapon,no use of polymorh bonus

11 str
12 fin
12 int or 14 int to deal as much damage as the lizzard,but would lose 2 points in wits,which would make the elf slower than the lizzard
12 con
10 memory
12 wits

Lizzard hits earlier than elf and for more damage.

Yes you can outgrow these situations, but the more delayed you are in having a party member fill a specific role,the worse he is for your party, because you have to fight whilist taking care of an incompetent member.

If you don't care about what is writen in spoiler,I will say this,my reviews are made to help people to chose the best tool (companion+preset) for their party. And while most, simple choices can be straightfoward, there are 2 presets who feature missleading descriptions (Inquisitor and Fighter) and the fact that Larian has put throw away skill in some (maybe most) of the presets to mess with us during the first levels just so our choices of companions,presets and character/party development have more weight behind them.

Skills that are included in presets for the sole purpose of annoying us during the first levels when our memory slots are so small, giving more weight to our choice of developing our characters. Even at higher there are some skills in the presets made by Larian,which I refuse to keep memorised due to either how bad they are or how easy they are to be replaced.

Fighter - battlestomp and contamination. I believe that the sole point of the fighter preset is to give us sword+shield and fortify skill,from there we can chose to build our character in such a way that he can use warfare skills (which require melee weapon) or ignore it completly and that the only reason Contamination is in this preset is for us to replace ASAP with something THAT IS ACTUALY USEFULL. If I wanted a fighter that uses wand and shield to hold agro,I would definetly take polymorph because I know you can bullrush with either bow or wand+shield.

Shadowblade - chloroform and mosquito swarm. I strongly believe the sole purpose of this preset is to highlight just how good chloroform is, but if you want to centralize your character on that skill,then you would have to put 1 point in Aero and swap out mosquito swarm for electric discharge or shocking touch and then you have to consider if you want to keep using daggers. But if you wanted for some reason to get rid of chloroform,that would mean investments in either warfare or necromancy during the first levels,just to have both latter down the line.

Conjurer - dimensional bolt....need I discuss this?

I refuse to mention the Witch preset here,as I believe that preset is aimed to serve as a party healer for a full zombie party!

Last edited by Draco359; 11/06/17 04:55 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard