Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
tee Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
talent points are already rare to come by and they provide interesting effects, nobody want to waste a point on a talent they don't prefer on that character for the whole game.

EDIT: better yet, maybe let the player edit thier own stats on companions. Keep the presets but allow player a chance to edit the character for one last time just like in character creation.

This game is classless afterall yet companions is forced to start with a certain presets.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree to a certain extent, but in DOS 1 and here the companions they have their own background and starting skill set, completely changing every trait which can enforce who they are might lower the narrative for the character.

Ifan has pet pal because he can summon a wolf, change it for Opportunist and it lowers the narrative of having that guy having a loyal furry friend.
In the end I had the same reaction when I played the game but the more I play the less I am bothered by it.

tee Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Deadknight
I agree to a certain extent, but in DOS 1 and here the companions they have their own background and starting skill set, completely changing every trait which can enforce who they are might lower the narrative for the character.

Ifan has pet pal because he can summon a wolf, change it for Opportunist and it lowers the narrative of having that guy having a loyal furry friend.
In the end I had the same reaction when I played the game but the more I play the less I am bothered by it.

I got your point, but Ifan's pet pal is tied to his background like you said so it will remain there no matter what class you pick, you'll still get a preset talent to that class allowing him to have 2 starting talents.

On the other hand, while the preset talent may relate to that class, it isnt necessarily 100% tied to it background. Not every warrior is an Opportunist , not every archers use elemental arrows, not every Wizard master in long range casting (Far-Out), and Cleric somehow got Hot Head (+10% crit , +20% acc when user is at max hp) even though spells can't miss and crit by default.

So except for Ifan, having control on your companion first talent not only boost player roleplaying experience, it also make the game more fun.

Example at level 1:
• I select Ranger for companion Sebille , i get Arrow Recovery even though i would able to make alot of them through crafting later on. Say if i got control and pick Glass Cannon, i could make use of it from the beginning and get to play her more when it's her turn. That sounds much more fun for me.
• Then i have Red as Knight with Opportunist, which rarely triggers because of my playstyle. I make everybody is equally durable so Al have no urges to disengage Red and focus on other targets. Say if i can get him Executioner, i could let him do all the killings.

In this case, Sebille is a ranger but also an Elf, so she would be quite squishy, Glass Cannon would make sense. Red was once a Prince with alot of Pride, so when he get a kill, he gets some sort of Adrenaline allowing him to act more.

In the end you may not care , i didn't care too. But if this was the option, everybody would have more fun. I wouldn't mind the attributes/civil/combat fixed into selected preset, but talents, like i said. They are rare, they can change the way you play, they are interesting and fun, you can have some fun talent combinations of your own right at level 4 but because of this fixed first talent. Player would be stuck with a talent they may or may not use at all in thier game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I actually would prefer if we simply could make each companion just as we make our main character.
But it seems they chose to just have the preset for some reason.

Not the best but that's probably as good as well have for the release unless they give us the ability to change the preset of the starting classes.

Last edited by Deadknight; 19/08/17 05:55 AM.
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by Deadknight
I actually would prefer if we simply could make each companion just as we make our main character.

You already can.

enthusiast
enthusiast
How so ?

A
A
start a game and go to character creation.. while still keeping the game up load up 3 more versions of the game and "join" your first game.. make a character on all 4 clients and press start... exit the game on the 3 other clients and youll keep all the characters for your own use.

tee Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Adrianna
start a game and go to character creation.. while still keeping the game up load up 3 more versions of the game and "join" your first game.. make a character on all 4 clients and press start... exit the game on the 3 other clients and youll keep all the characters for your own use.

that wasn't devs intention, you would end up controlling 4 PC and do all the talkings yourself rather than the feeling of 1 PC and 3 other companions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe not for act 1. But everything after that it is the players choice to use any origin-combination or even 4 custom made henchmen.

That trick mentioned above just let you do it in act 1 in singleplayer which is indeed not intended. In multiplayer however everything goes!

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard