Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#608648 01/09/17 05:00 PM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
The release date of Divinity: Original Sin II is in few days, the game is going to be awesome as we've seen in the latest kickstarter update, but it'll be more great with their Italian subtitles!

I mean, the Italian community isn't so huge as the other one, but I've very enjoyed the DOS: EE thanks to the translation in my native language.

So, I'd would like to know if DOS II will get Italian subtitles, or if there's any chance to get it somehow.

Thanks in advance, and my apologize for any function and grammar mistakes. :D

H
stranger
stranger
H
Absolutely agree.

Italian fans deserve a localization in their own language for this game, especially because the first chapter was.

So please, larian, don't betray the Italian community, and you'll surely be rewarded for your nice work and by their love for your games.

At least, a larian response would be very appreciated...

Greetings.

old hand
old hand

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
C
stranger
stranger
C
Hi all of you at larian,i'm an italian gamer,and just like my compatriots just stated before me, i would love to play Divinity 2 with italian subs,all of your games are amazing,i've been recently playing the dragon knight saga on my xbox(with italian subs :D),so please make our dream come true...
Thanks

apprentice
apprentice
I played and worshiped all the games of Larian Studios, now, seeing no trace of translation into Italian for this game, I'm anxious
are there any hopes?

M
stranger
stranger
M
I'm italian and i don't think Larian should waste money on italian subs. Our community is too small to justify it.
Also since you all resemble decent english-speaking people, why would you want to read poor translated subs while you can enjoy the better version? laugh +during the last decade our dubbing and subbing (once our pride) degraded in quality

Last edited by Mebi; 07/09/17 11:37 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Mebi
why would you want to read poor translated subs while you can enjoy the better version?

Maybe because Larian's writers like to use sophisticated writing and verbal jokes. If you want to understand them well you need to know english on higher level than usual B2. D:OS2 is not some Diablo clone or strategy game. Story, dialogs are part of core experience of D:OS2 as important as tactical combat.
I play games for entertainment and siting with dictionary in front of the screen is not fun for me.

Last edited by Mith; 08/09/17 12:46 AM.
Zec Offline
In my opinion most of rpg games and especially crpgs with all in game text jokes lose a lot with their translations on other languages, I personally think that Larian do not need to waste time on too much translation, maybe just 4-5 languages. But to does those translations really quality one (who knows maybe put even voice actors in some) but to waste time on translating game on every minor language before release, instead of translating it on English, French (which is one of native languages in Belgium also) and some of Asian ones and Russian.
Larian is not extra big company they do have to take care what they place as primary.
And as was noted before, all of you can talk basic English at least so why would you had difficulties on playing game on English?
Just let people at Larian to do this what they are doing gret instead to start translating it on loads of different languages.

made in Betanija
S
stranger
stranger
S
I know that it's probably not worth translating the game in the italian language, and while I can play the game in english without too much trouble I still want to let you know that Larian has a very passionate italian fanbase and that an italian translation would be greatly appreciated, especially for those people who may have some trouble with the "not every day" english of the game

Last edited by stronzolo; 08/09/17 11:18 AM.
Zec Offline
Originally Posted by stronzolo
I know that it's probably not worth translating the game in the italian language, and while I can play the game in english without too much trouble I still want to let you know that Larian has a very passionate italian fanbase and that an italian translation would be greatly appreciated, especially for those people who may have some trouble with the "not every day" english of the game

Larian has also Serbian fanbase too and we would like that translation, we are aware it will probably never happen. I mean there are everywhere people who have troubles with english but they do manage it.
I mean imagine if they would done translation for just like 10% of popular languages translations. Imagine how much work that would be plus delay on the game release itself and loads of other things we prolly have no idea about. I mean just payment for all those people who would do translations for every language.
I say that better Larian does game with few languages but does one damn good RPG and it seems that is exactly what they are doing groovy

made in Betanija
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Zec

Larian has also Serbian fanbase too and we would like that translation, we are aware it will probably never happen. I mean there are everywhere people who have troubles with english but they do manage it.
I mean imagine if they would done translation for just like 10% of popular languages translations. Imagine how much work that would be plus delay on the game release itself and loads of other things we prolly have no idea about. I mean just payment for all those people who would do translations for every language.
I say that better Larian does game with few languages but does one damn good RPG and it seems that is exactly what they are doing groovy

I know, trust me, I've spent days discussing on italian forums with people convinced that there's some kind of conspiracy against italian players (as if there aren't other languages, with far more native speaker and players than italian, not being localized) trying to explain that the expenses for localization are actually a big deal for small studios like Larian.
I'm just trying to be helpful to all those italian players that can't read english in case there's some hope for others localizations after the release

Last edited by stronzolo; 08/09/17 12:31 PM.
Zec Offline
I know, trust me, I've spent days discussing on italian forums with people convinced that there's some kind of conspiracy against italian players (as if there aren't other languages, with far more native speaker and players than italian, not being localized) trying to explain that the expenses for localization are actually a big deal for small studios like Larian.
I'm just trying to be helpful to all those italian players that can't read english in case there's some hope for others localizations after the release

I know we have that for every country, and irony is that often after translation it ends up still used old english version. I still remember how me and friend finally installed first win 95 with windows translated on our language, and got totally lost..... we could not find "start" button...... it said "pocni" and not "start" (plus on our language "pocni" means "begin") after 30 minutes, we reinstalled win 95 on English

made in Betanija
enthusiast
enthusiast
Some games have the "strings" in a file so that internationalization can be done by modders... But it's still not that simple, could be nice though... I for one have my mother tongue at launch (it helps for some friends)

Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Linio
Some games have the "strings" in a file so that internationalization can be done by modders... But it's still not that simple, could be nice though... I for one have my mother tongue at launch (it helps for some friends)

Yea but modding game like Divinity Original Sin by a modder..... just look on the amount of text that there is in game.... it is insane.
I mean one thing is modding translations to games like CS:GO and DOOM and heavy RPGs like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of eternity or Tyranny or Witcher 3.... I mean I dont need to continue naming them.... those are games with insane amount of text for translation (and not to mention on checking of grammar and all)

made in Betanija
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Zec
Originally Posted by Linio

Yea but modding game like Divinity Original Sin by a modder..... just look on the amount of text that there is in game.... it is insane.
I mean one thing is modding translations to games like CS:GO and DOOM and heavy RPGs like Divinity Original Sin or Pillars of eternity or Tyranny or Witcher 3.... I mean I dont need to continue naming them.... those are games with insane amount of text for translation (and not to mention on checking of grammar and all)
OK, but I played Fallout 4: 1.2 million translated words and one million words dubbed in Italian
it is not an impossibility and, in this case, since Larian is not as big as Bethesda, we would be satisfied with subtitles in our own language

M
stranger
stranger
M
Larian isn't small studio. They employ over 130 people, that’s Bethesda Game Studios level. They do voice acting for over 1M words using cast of around 80 actors - those are not some cheap folks, they hire well known actors. Their budget on voice acting is on Bioware's games level. For only small portion of this budget on voice acting they could do 5 additional localizations. If they don't want to do this localizations by themself, they could outsource it e.g. to local publishers.

Zec Offline
Originally Posted by Mith
Larian isn't small studio. They employ over 130 people, that’s Bethesda Game Studios level. They do voice acting for over 1M words using cast of around 80 actors - those are not some cheap folks, they hire well known actors. Their budget on voice acting is on Bioware's games level. For only small portion of this budget on voice acting they could do 5 additional localizations. If they don't want to do this localizations by themself, they could outsource it e.g. to local publishers.

Check the link for wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larian_Studios it say 40 people, they might do hire actors for voice or hire people for recording music and stuff but those peoples are not part of the studios.
There is reason why this game is Kickstarted I do not wanna sound insulting toward folks at Larian but when we look at size of studio like Bethesda (which has almost 5 time more employees), and then look at Larian you cant compare them...

PS while I do love and Skyrim and Fallout, Larian makes better stuff way to go guys thankyou on great games and respecting your community cheer

made in Betanija
M
stranger
stranger
M
Lol, Swen exactly said during Twitch Gamescom stream that 130 people are working on D:OS2.
Maybe durig development of D:OS Larian has 40 employees but right now this is big company and D:OS2 look like 100% AAA title. For the first D:OS game Kickstarter was necessary to enhanced game but with D:OS2 it was used mostly for marketing purposes and to engage community in development process, they could do D:OS2 from money which they earned on D:OS (1,5M copies x ~30$ = 45M $ compare this to 2M $ from Kickstarter).

Last edited by Mith; 08/09/17 04:17 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mith
(1,5M copies x ~30$ = 45M $ compare this to 2M $ from Kickstarter).

Errr, it is not that simple so no. But we get the idea.

S
stranger
stranger
S
To be fair Larian doesn't have the same budget of Triple A software houses like Bethesda, their best selling games sells for hundreds of thousands while games like Fallout or Skyrim sells for tens of millions, even if the percentage for the italians sales are similar ( around 1,65/2% both for Original Sin and Skyrim) you have to take into account that the 2% of something like 20.000.000 (a game like Skyrim wich is among the first ten best selling video games of all times) isn't exactly the same as the 2% of 500.000 (this is the number of copies they needed to sell in order to get even with the development costs, as stated in Swen blog after the release of the game. The actual sales numbers should be higher).
The voice over is a total different matter, while I would have preferred more localizations instead of the voice acting I can't really blame Larian studios for choosing it since it makes the game much more appealing toward the vast majority of players (around 60% if we only take into account the sales for the native eenglish speaking countries)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard