Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hey
Iamthepenthief and im new to divinity original sin...

Really enjoying it

Just thought id say hi and drop my first character build

Ive basically made a tribute to minsc from bg /bg2:SoA

So Ranger but with 2handed weapon skill to start

Put strength and constitution up

Man at arms

Talk to animal (coz "ranger" right?)

Cant remember the exact name but Heal wounds (gives 28hp)

Any thoughts?

Hello and welcome,

I like your concept, smile and Pet Pal (talk to animals) will give you many funny moments, some useful information, and even the occasional quest you would miss without this ability.

What's your second main character going to be?

Have fun
Raban

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Minsc needs his witch!
Made her a pyro to start but some friends advised me to expand to geomancer aswell
She has skill in bow to keep her out of harms way and malediction i think its called, can give negative status weak

Yea talking to animals has been fun so far. Especislly as its all voiced (rat voice is awesome)

It goes with minsc character, if you're familiar with him he has a pet he calls boo wjom he believes to be a "miniure Giant space hampster that he talks to.

Yes, I know Minsc and his little friend. smile

Pyro + Geo is a common combination because the oil from Geo can be ignited by Pyro. Witchcraft (e.g. Oath of Malediction) is very useful for crowd control and (de-)buffing.

One of the best things about DOS is that you don't have to decide your character's whole career at the beginning, as there are no fixed classes with exclusive abilities. The "classes" of DOS are no more than themed presets.

For example, in our co-op game we have two magic users – an Aero/Pyro/Witch and an Aero/Geo/Hydro controlled by me, my partner has a pure Scoundrel and a pure Expert Marksman, so we have all skill sets but Man-at-Arms at our disposal. BUT even now with level 14 we decided to give at least two of us Man-at-Arms 1 mainly for Helping Hand, since no other skill group has a way to get up knocked down characters (well, Teleport does that but inevitably damages the target and has a comparatively high AP cost).

The best advice I can give you to lean back and don't overthink your builds. At least in normal difficulty, DOS is very forgiving and doesn't punish less-optimal builds (much smile ). Have fun experimenting and finding your own way of playing.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Thanks mate. Yea the freedom to grow is part what drew me towards DOS over other relatively recent old D&D style games loke Torment ToN or Pillars of Eternity (although pillars is next on my list).
I'm goin to ease in with the first playthru on normal to get used to the systems in play before pushing up to the next level.
I have heard DOS can punish poorly built characters with difficulty spikes and dips even on classic... but thats ok.. ive lost many wars to aliens on the ultimately most unforgiving xcom2... im ready for this level of stress lol

Originally Posted by PenThief
Thanks mate. Yea the freedom to grow is part what drew me towards DOS over other relatively recent old D&D style games loke Torment ToN or Pillars of Eternity (although pillars is next on my list).

PoE is a beautiful game, but I stopped playing it halfway through because the story didn't captivate me at all. I'm playing the GOG version of Dragon Age: Origins from 2010 at the moment. Its story and character interactions are an exceptional gem amongst roleplaying games.

I tried the Enhanced Edition of Planescape Torment half a year ago, but I had to recognize that I'm too much used to fully voiced dialoges nowadays, so I stopped playing PT not far into the game. Maybe I'll give it another try this winter.

I have heard DOS can punish poorly built characters with difficulty spikes and dips even on classic...

Apart from some of the boss fights, we didn't encounter such spikes, and I would place our tactical finesse somewhere at the upper middle with the occational brain fart ("Argh, I'm such an IDIOT!"). smile

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard