Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it possible to craft better versions of the stat potions (strength, int, fin, witts, const)?

I've only been able to find recipes for the Minor potions but not for the better ones. I've looked on many websites and forums but can't find them. The wiki page only has the minor recipes. I tried combining with augmentors but it doesn't work.

Minor stat potions are just useless. Having +1 strength or int, for example, makes absolutely no difference in any situation.
If the better stat potions can only be obtained randomly in the world (vendors or loot), then they can't be reliably incorporated in regular gameplay. So what good are they?

Could the devs at least confirm whether such recipes exists at all?

old hand
old hand
Interesting question. Short answer is no. I read your question and realized I didn't know the answer to it. So I opened up the game to check, and was surprised to find out that the only attribute potions you can craft are the minor ones.

If you right click any attribute potion, you'll see that there isn't an option for combining. Even though they do show up in the crafting interface, they can't be combined with anything. (They really should take a look into this; only items that can be combined with something can show up in the crafting interface)

That said, at the end of the game, I had a bunch of these, a few of each type. I don't think they're *that* rare, but I didn't find them *that* useful either. In most cases, I could always spend that one AP to do something else that had more "dramatic" result. Even the medium ones give you only +3, which is not that great. You can just spend that one AP to cast Peace of Mind instead, which gets better and better as you level up. And the scrolls are quite abundant. I always had a stack of them on each character.

So yeah, these potions are rather irrelevant, if you ask me.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 17/12/17 10:18 AM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
That's a good point - the stat potions don't have the "Combine with" menu, so it probably means they can't be upgraded. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean there are no recipes for the medium and large ones, we just know that minor ones are not part of the recipe.

It's true, even +3 mediums make no noticeable difference.

So, assuming that mediums or large cannot be crafted at all, I would ask the developer this: If we're not meant to craft stat potions, why give the player ability to craft ANY stat potions at all? Why ONLY minor ones? What is the thinking behind this, if any? Is it just another overlooked aspect of crafting?

We can upgrade HP and armor potions, why not these?
All this time I've been collecting ingredients to make minor stat potions, with plans to upgrade them later when I find recipe. But that plan was a bust.

Sorry but this is BS! It was disappointing enough to find out that crafted weapons and armor cannot be enhanced or sold for any money, and now this. What are you people doing to crafting????? mad

Last edited by 123xzcs; 17/12/17 11:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
It is the core issue with this game in my eyes. They introduced a lot of new stuff, while ruining old mechanics or at least not bothering to fix wellknown flaws of the old system.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 123xzcs
Now, that doesn't necessarily mean there are no recipes for the medium and large ones, we just know that minor ones are not part of the recipe.

While that's true, if you think about it, each plant has its unique crafting property, so the idea that the medium and the large versions would require different plants or ingredients (since there is no "bigger" empty bottle) doesn't sound very convincing.

Originally Posted by 123xzcs
What is the thinking behind this, if any?

That's another good question. When I posted a topic talking about how useful/useless the Talents are, that question would come up quite a few times. Generally speaking, there are many things in D:OS2 that suggest very bizarre, mind-boggling decision-making. Many things seem like a "rough sketch" that the devs came up with initially but never got around to polishing them later on.

*Hopefully* there is an enhanced edition on the way (chances are good that there is) and most if not all of said things receive an overhaul.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 18/12/17 02:45 AM.

E
E
Did anybody tried with Augmentor?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by eLPuSHeR
Did anybody tried with Augmentor?

Yes, I did. Tried with all three versions of Augmentor.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
It's one thing to have a downsized crafting system, if the devs want the focus to be on story and role-playing, but that's different from having an incomplete or unfinished crafting system. If you want to buy a cheaper car, you still want it to come with 4 wheels.
If we can craft minor stat potions, we should be able to craft the better ones, just like we can for the other potions, runes, etc.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard