Next Thread
Print Thread
#639964 02/01/18 04:39 AM
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Well, I finally can achieve dragon form but there seems to be a bug when fighting off the Damian attack - flame breath doesn't damage the nest towers. They're targeted, but no damage. Eventually I'm killed since I can't transform to human form ("Q") on this map. Either a bug or I am badly misunderstanding something. I also see it's not just me as I found the same question here from years ago but there was no real answer. So, what am I doing wrong or how can I workaround the bug?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think this one will have to wait for Raze's expertise, as I don't have suggestions for how to fix it, but I'm a bit sad for you that you're running into multiple bugs. frown Still, at least they're prepared to look into it, it seems.

As far as I remember, both of those things should just work, the nest towers should be fairly easily destroyed and with the possible exception of one area you should be able to transform back to a human whenever you want, even if it's not particularly advisable...

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Hmm, he's been back a bit but I'd wager he's still quite busy with other things. I started a new game in the mean time. Seems a warrior build is much easier then that of a ranger so far.

Support
Support

Did you try taking out the nests with Fire Sphere?

Did you check if you have any dragon equipment you can use? There is some you'll want to get in the battle tower, after that fight, but there is some you can find earlier.
If you explored the start of the fjords before the final section where you take over the battle tower, you may have a dragon skill book in your inventory (or an extra skill point, if you read it earlier), which you can use to get the dragon healing spell.

Did you try reloading a save before exiting the battle tower, or the autosave made once you get outside in dragon form?

I found that after about level 4 or 5, the ranger starts to become a lot more effective. In part that was due to a change in approach, as I started off using unarmed combat as a fallback when opponents got close, rather than breaking off and attacking again from a distance.
I played a warrior in the original release of D2:ED, though, so with the balancing changes it is hard to make a direct comparison with DKS/D2:DC builds.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
My opinion is that the ranger probably had an edge: I just need to think of the biggest menaces I faced, and I'm pretty sure it was the rangers across both versions of the game. It does help to find a guide to good builds though, actually having an idea what I was doing made an enormous difference to reasonably pain-free progress compared to getting pwned all the time!

Though ultimately I went for a sort of mixed build of both warrior and ranger: although a risk of jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none, I liked the flexibility of being able to have a couple of different approaches to any given situation.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
I've just been cutting through opponents that gave me trouble in a ranger build. Even the level 22 bow with ranger strength = 3 didn't seem to do a lot of damage.

C
Bugfinder General
OP Offline
Bugfinder General
C
Fire spheres? I think I did but mainly fire breath - the special attack seemed more geared at flying things so I mainly used it for that.

I think I do have some dragon stuff (no skill books, though) - a dragon helmet and dragon claws I believe. I did do some things in the fiord area - a couple of caves (not the one by the waterfall though - kept getting killed fast in there) and I may have skipped some areas in the battle tower (somewhere there were platforms that disappeared after like three seconds after a short movie that I decided to give up on - I really don't like timed stuff) so I may not have everything. I'm also sure I didn't find all the keys and buttons as there were references to passages that I never found and a few unpickable chests.

I have a prior to exiting the battle tower save but, no, I didn't think to try that.

I changed my approach the other way and used the sword more - it did quite a bit more damage then the bow. Then again, it was a rather good single-hand sword.

EDIT: I don't know which worked; I tried fire spheres, started prior to leaving the battle tower, and used the dragon claws and helmet. Didn't realize that the dragon could even be armored up and was wondering why I couldn't use them on the human. Anyway, Damien's attack on the tower is history. I think I defeated Stone's fortress but I didn't get a message to that affect. All the troops in the castle area are history and so too the nests and ballistas. There is a small island that has an "exit" and a whole bunch of skellies that I didn't want to deal with yet.

Last edited by caninelegion; 05/01/18 12:52 AM.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard