Divinity Banner
Topic Options
#640543 - 01/11/18 06:06 PM Advice needed for very keen Newbie
DivinityNewbie Offline
stranger

Hi there,
I'm very keen to get in DOS1.
I've tried several times and given up, as I can see this is not your typical, instant gratification, type of game. But it's the type of game I can imagine loving.
Here are my problems:
- I never really know where I'm meant to go next.
- I never know if I've completed a quest.
- I get my behind handed to me if I leave the first town.

Any general tips would be great.
So far I've got a few characters to join my party, I've explored the sewers, I think I've progressed some quest lines.

Anything I should be doing as a newbie? I really want to progress a bit and start feeling comfortable in this world.

#640563 - 01/12/18 01:08 AM Re: Advice needed for very keen Newbie [Re: DivinityNewbie]
Raban Offline
journeyman

Loc: Germany
Hello and welcome to the flock,

Originally Posted By: DivinityNewbie

- I never really know where I'm meant to go next.

talk to everyone, especially the "important" people. Many of them also repeat their tasks for you if you talk to them again, sometimes even in a shortened form.

Read anything and collect all literature that sounds like it could be important in the future.

Consult the journal for short descriptions what to do next.

If you're really stuck, search the web for hints or walkthroughs. The official wiki is a good place to start. I suggest to do this very carefully though, so you don't spoil too much of the story, it's too good for that in my opinion.

- I never know if I've completed a quest.

In the journal, you can check the "completed" checkbox to hide all completed quests.

- I get my behind handed to me if I leave the first town.

Read strategy guides and/or lower the difficulty mode. Look here in the forum for tips, or open your own thread.

Any general tips would be great.

Explore and experiment. D:OS is made for that. Many quests and encounters can be solved by different measures. Use the elements to your favor, and skill at least two of your characters to complement each other. Water & air have good combinations, as do earth & fire. Some examples: (spoiler, mark with the mouse to show): wet your enemies, then freeze or electrify them; oil them, then burn them; burn pools of water to create a steam cloud, then electrify the cloud.

Element magic can also help your more mundane characters, like protecting or enhancing them.

Anything I should be doing as a newbie? I really want to progress a bit and start feeling comfortable in this world.

That's the right attitude for this game. It wants to be explored and lived more than just played like other, more linear games. It's more like many games of the "good old times" in that regard. That's why we old gaming veterans love it so much. wink

Have fun
Raban