Next Thread
Print Thread
#641106 23/01/18 05:49 PM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I participated in the Crowd Funding for Divinity: Original Sin. I should have gotten a free copy but didn't, but that was fine. I Purchased the Enhanced Version as well as Divinity: Original Sin 2. I have started this, but find it frustrating. The Combat sucks as it is way out of balance. I have never cared much for the turn based stuff, but this is worse with the AP stuff. The way it is, the bad guys have a huge edge as you find yourself out of range and using AP to get in range and thus get NO Offense, while the bad guys are having at you. It would be better if they eliminated the need for AP entirely and kept the turn based stuff. I have only played Divine Divinity in the past. The story is good and interesting, but the Combat ruins the whole thing, and yes, I am in Explorer mode. The other thing is the leveling system. It is ridiculous. 22,000 + XP to level up. Side quests leave a little to be desired as well. You look at them in your log and it is like, Ok, now what am I supposed to do, where am I supposed to go. lack of information. With a guide you will be fine, I suppose, I had to go online to find out what I supposed to do. This game is Okay, but good be really good had things been done a bit differently. My last gaming was with The Witcher, 1,2,&3.

F
addict
addict
F
Sneak.

Or pass a turn and let them come to you.

Or both.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
Hello coastie65,

everyone has different preferences. It seems D:OS isn't a game for you, if you don't like turn-based, non-linear games that require a certain amount of work by the player(s). I don't mean that reproachfully, but only as an neutral observation based on your criticism.

I, on the opposite, love D:OS exactly for the qualities you despise. Its combat is challenging, but fair (most of the time). It punishes recklessness, but rewards planning and preparation. If you want to charge into the fray, other games may be better for you.

The certain vagueness of D:OS' quests is a refreshing hommage to the adventure and roleplaying games of the "good old days" in the last millennium for me, when many games didn't have automaps or quest markers/arrows that the player only has to follow slavishly. In this kind of game, exploration is work and discovery is its own reward as the fruit of the player's toil.

I also never had an issue with the levelling system of D:OS, and I don't know what you mean with "22,000 + XP". In our co-op game on normal difficulty, the levels kind of "just keep coming" while playing, and most of the enemies, with few exeptions like bosses, are at a similar level as the player characters "just by chance" (though I smell manipulation by the game).

As for Witcher, I played W1+2 so far, W3 is waiting its time in my GOG account. I liked W1 very much; W2, although superior technically and in presentation, felt too linear and confining for my taste. I'm looking forward to W3's open world.

Cheers
Raban

Last edited by Raban; 23/01/18 09:55 PM. Reason: some typos
Y
Y
I played the Witcher games...all 3 of them. And in the right succession of numbers, as well.

I got bored out of the Witcher games...all 3 of them. And in no particular order of numbers, too.

The Witcher games are not for me...but whenever I put my reasoning upfront and explain why I don't like the Witcher franchise as a whole I do get quite a bit of hate in the face. Furthermore, I actually advise people to not pay the full price of a game for any of the Witcher games, as I find the 'gameplay' component of those to be limited...but that's me.

Purely from a gameplay perspective, I think, the Original Sin franchise comes on top of the Witcher games. There is way more freedom for the player and innovative thinking to be had in OS. Just reading how people have overcome stuff in completely different ways than what I did is surprisingly entertaining, but also shows a level of freedom that is increasingly and worryingly becoming absent from today's...well, 'games.'

My gameplay experience of OS on Tactician, right from the bat, is that if the game does not present new challenges I stomp through the combat. Original Sin has things that can one shot your entire party in a turn, tough environmental hazards, ridiculous traps, true dungeon crawling puzzles, opponents possessing aoe op skills that can charm 3 out of 4 of your party and many other things...But the solutions to those are left to the individual player and how they choose to act. That's the good news.

But obviously gamers such as myself are perhaps the smaller part of the whole demographic.

Originally Posted by Yasen
opponents possessing aoe op skills that can charm 3 out of 4 of your party

That exactly happened to us at our last game session. Three chars got charmed in the first round, followed by the last free-willed mage in the back being killed by focused enemy fire. But after the charm went out, we regrouped, resurrected the mage, and won the battle. That's the greatness of D:OS – even after such a downer at the beginning of a fight, you may be able to turn the tide with careful tactics and by using the synergy of your character's abilities.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm curious who among you read the Witcher books before playing the games. I did, and it gave a new dimension to the games. Especially W1 is geared towards readers and non-readers alike, as it often gives you a choice to either let Geralt remember things or people in conversations, or not. Thus, I rate the Witcher games (W1+W2) more from a reader's perspective than for their game mechanics. But even considering both, I still like W1 better than W2.

Y
Y
Just to satiate that part of you.

I've never read the books, but personally, I think that the first Witcher has got the most identity of its own. Second Witcher is difficult for me to explain, but definitely evokes a lot more criticism. And the last Witcher is just pure fanboi service and PR campaign. You can check me out on Steam and see my reviews for them.

Hello Yasen, do you have links to the reviews? I'm not on Steam and I didn't find them with a simple web search for "steam yasen witcher review".

Y
Y

Thanks, Yasen. Though I'm not with you on all points of criticism, and I certainly would recommend both W1+W2 to others, your reviews are interesting, well written, and spoiler-free. Since I did read the books before playing the games, I don't share this vantage point with you, which certainly influenced my own experience.

Y
Y
Thanks.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps you should read the books first and play the games after...But I evaluate them in terms of what they are per se.

Original Sin review is coming soon, too ;D. By the looks of it, I will have more good stuff to say about OS than OS2.

You're absolutely right to evaluate the games for themselves, since the books shouldn't be a mandatory read to play them. I just recommend everyone interested in the games to read the books beforehand. That said, the books are great without the games vice versa.

I'm looking forward to your OS1 review. Could you please announce it here? Because, as I said, I don't use Steam. wink

Y
Y
Yeah, sure. I will send you a message.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Absolutely love Witcher 3, possibly my goat.

Greatly looking forward to cyberpunk as well.

Still, from an rpg perspective - divinity original sin EE has it handily beat. I have to say it took a few hours, and I really dislike the giant text boxes because I cannot see anything when they are up, but the role playing, scavenging, combat, and story (fully voiced!) is incredible.

This game is amazing.
I can’t believe it came from Kickstarter.

These guys are going to get bought out, the quality is too high. I pray that they get bought by CDPR, and not EA.

It’s so rare, to actually get a real role playing game, that this might as well be a living unicorn.

Choices actually have some consequences, a rogue is not going to be a great wizard, and you aren’t going to win every battle or argument.

I love this game, and I love the Witcher 3.

My only complaint is that they gotta allow us to change the way the text boxes cover the whole screen. It’s killing me. I’m desperately hoping there is someone, somewhere at Larian who is looking into that.

This game is a 10/10 if that gets fixed.

I love BotW
Love Witcher 3
I thought Skyrim was hugely boring

Divinity is AMAZING.
Give it a good ten hours before you decide to quit, get through the mystery of Councilor Jake’s murder before you decide whether it is for you. It was right around then the game clicked for me and I was having so much fun. About 70 hours later I’m now in the phantom forest and I’m STILL discovering cool new stuff and recipes to try.

Oh man, if only Ni No Kuni has crafting like this game.
Game heaven.

Originally Posted by Niel
About 70 hours later I’m now in the phantom forest and I’m STILL discovering cool new stuff and recipes to try.

Same here. My co-op partner and I are also in the phantom forest at the moment. We're playing this game for a little over a year now, because we only play 3-4 hours once a week with some weeks omitted due to other obligations, and because we take our time to explore anything the game offers, like sidequests, crafting, and cooking. Without much exaggeration, our "Divinity friday" is a regular homecoming we look forward to days before.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I am almost ready to start playing D:OS-EE and can't wait! Been reading about why one would want to quit, given what I have heard and read (other than the text boxes, pre-EE).

Also being "old school," last century pen & paper, waiting to begin (ready to put 100+/- hours into D:OS-EE), then get D:OS2 and game some hours, you all forgot Red Dead Redemption 2/3! I know, I know, a western, but almost an RPG, and loved RDR almost as much as TW3! Agree that TW and TW2 were too linear!!!

Now, though speaking months later, here, I hope the gent didn't quit, as I love games that make one think and, though I have All Dark Souls games, but Bloodborne!!! Why no PC or Xbox One version, Bandai Namco??? I hope for PC, but, don't care!!! No, I like a good ole game where one must use one's mind!!! The Souls games=I can be a glutton for punishment, most of the time, actually, but like more of a chance, ergo D:OS-EE & D:OS2, lol!!! Sometimes a simple thing allows one around a major, losing battle (operative word: "losing").

Anyway, although having wanted D:OS (Classic), I had wanted to play D:OS-EE, after I'd learned that the 1st game (Classic) after the original series, was to be made without the big text boxes so, I believe I'm doing the right thing? As eluded to about! No? I hope that there are not big text boxes, rather great voice acting done, without big text boxes "covering the screen!!!" Do I expect for there to be text boxes while there is talking? Of course; but hopefully, not literally covering the screen!!!

Well, I hope to start playing within the next 8-10 hours (give or take), and also hope that I do not have to *Lone Wolf* the game!!! For some reason, my brother-in-law, will only play D:OS2?!?!? However, his brother may be up to gaming some D:OS-EE!?!?!

By the way, going to give it more than 10 hours! I had heard to even give it as many as 20 hours, and given that I get into the side quests, going hither & thither around the map, looking under every nook and cranny for every item... yeah, that's me!!! This may be over 100 hours of gaming, & looking forward to every minute of it!!!

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard