Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
According to Divinity Wikia Broken Valley is Rivertown.
Although I think it's confusing since various people in the village in BV refer to Rivertown in a way sounding like Rivertown is somewhere else.

- Rhode: "The famine in Rivertown is more important than local grumbles."
- Rhode: "After the initiation we will head back to Rivertown where the ritual will come to its conclusion."
But then of course the last Dragon Knight has been spotted near Broken Valley and we'll head there instead.
- Louis: "I'll ask for reinforcements from Aleroth or Rivertown."
- Richard: "See: Rivertown is struck by a famine but Aleroth isn't doing much better." And after that Richard continues "Well damn the bellies in Rivertown, I say. They can starve for all I care."

Also in Orobas Fjords, Kali says that the way to Rivertown has been destroyed completely. And Kali's Fortress is in the Southern-most part of Orobas Fjords while Broken Valley and the village is North from Orobas Fjords.
Even the game map has a marker "Rivertown" there where Kali's Fortress now is.
Just keeps bugging me somehow laugh

Last edited by vometia; 11/03/18 07:17 PM. Reason: formatting
S
stranger
stranger
S
Nope, I'm pretty certain Rivertown is south of Aleroth, while Broken Valley ist west of Aleroth wink . You just don't ever get there, because, as you already mentioned, Kali's fortress blocks the path, and the developers didn't bother extending the map any further.

H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Yeah the wikia page saying "Broken Valley Village, also known as Rivertown" got me confused but should've just trusted the people of Broken Valley, they should know :D

When Divinity 3 comes hopefully sometime in the next 5 years, we'll get to see Rivertown as well and more areas of Rivellon in general.

The devs have said that they'd like to finish the story where Dragon Knight Saga ended.

The Damned One is still alive and 'the Demon within his soul' as Lucian put it, hasn't yet reached it's full power, and so neither has Damian.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Broken Valley Village is not the same place as Rivertown (I admit to initially having the same confusion myself for a time).

Broken Valley Village is somewhat to the north west of Aleroth, across the mountains. Rivertown is to its east, across the plains. They are different places. You can visit Rivertown in Divine Divinity and Broken Valley Village in Divinity 2, and Aleroth in both, which is very approximately equidistant.

Edit: oh, and there's also Farglow, the village which hosts the dragon slayer trainers, which being towards the Aleroth end of the fjords that eventually come out in Broken Valley is fairly close to where Kali's fortress is.

Edit 2: argh, got the directions completely the wrong way round! D: Still trying to get the hang of left and right... at 49... D:

Last edited by vometia; 12/03/18 07:14 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Ah yes. I really should've used common sense and not be questioning the obvious clues or rather facts that the game itself presented. Don't know how I ever thought of them as the same place cos of reading something from a wiki site who anyone can write on.

Feel pretty stupid for asking now.. But thank you both for bringing me back to reality! smile

I've played through Ego Draconis, and later FoV, like 30 times but this did confuse me.

vometia, do you know of games like Divinity 2 to play which I could play while waiting for Divinity 3?
The Dragon Knight Saga was and still is amazing but after 9 years it can get a tad repetitive now and again.
I'm pretty much done with the Original Sin 1 & 2 as well and just don't enjoy the turn-based system as much as real time mechanics.

Sorry I digress totally off-topic but don't know if I should rather message you. New to the forums here.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Either PMs or posts are fine!

And apologies for getting the compass directions the wrong way round, seems my concentration had wandered off, as is its wont; but to recap, Broken Valley Village is to Aleroth's north west and Rivertown to its east. Rivertown is also notable for its lack of rivers. biggrin

I think some of the dialogue must've been potentially misleading as I'd also assumed that Rivertown and the village are the same place: I played Ego Draconis before Divine Divinity so I hadn't realised at the time that Rivertown was already an established location.

Perhaps also worth mentioning a few of us did spend some time trying to figure out some sort of coherent cartography of the various Divinity games a while back. I think we came up with a reasonable approximation of where things are relative to each other. The chap who actually does cartography gets most of the credit, I just came up with a few suggestions of what might be, but they seemed to work well enough.

And I agree with what you're saying: I love ED/DKS, I just wish there was more. It's definitely its own thing so it's going to be tough to find something that's a direct replacement. If you haven't already done DD I would definitely give that a spin: in spite of its age, it's still very playable and very familiar to someone who's played other Divinity games and has that typical sense of humour that's really the key Larian feature I think.

But games that are like it outside the series... that's a bit tougher. Depends what you're looking for. In terms of games that have a similar look and feel, Oblivion is perhaps the most obvious since it uses basically the same engine, and though it's much maligned, with some modding it is actually a very, very good game. Look up FCOM on the modding sites: it's a real pain to install but it does transform the game into something special IMHO. If you fancy something with a more modern feel, any of the recent Fallouts, or preferably all of them: never knew the '50s sci-fi vibe could be so enthralling. Dragon Age Inquisition is another one I would strongly recommend, which is often quite serious and stuff but also has very many moments of silliness, so that's definitely worth checking out. Gothic III perhaps: not sure whether or not it's another Gambryo-based game (heard both yes and no from various sources) but it's very absorbing, atmospheric and there's certainly plenty to do. Only weirdness is that there's hardly any women in it, which seems... well, weird. And Witcher 3, because everybody says Witcher 3, though IMHO it does live up to the hype, even speaking as someone who's generally meh about playing someone else's character.

Apologies if none of those suggestions are particularly imaginative nor innovative, but for me they have at least some features that significantly match the stuff I enjoyed about Divinity 2.

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Somewhere I saw a map that showed general locations - I'll dig around a bit.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
In addition to what Vometia said, mainly because it is so cheap to try on GoG, you might try the Avadon series. It's much more primitive graphically and lacks the humor Divinity is known for but you can play male or female and there are several classes/builds + freestyle build. I never played the third one because they kept bringing back a character that pretty much destroyed the endings (as he was gone). When I heard that III revived him again I never bought the third game in the series.

H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Alright, a map of Rivellon would be great. Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look into the Avadon series, it sounds interesting.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
We discussed the general cartography in this topic where RenWex put together this map based on the various ideas we'd had on how things might fit together.

Though it's not annotated, you can see the settlements in red, so Aleroth is approximately in the middle, surrounded by water as it is in Divinity 2, Broken Valley Village and the fjords towards the top left, Rivertown about halfway down the right hand side (not the most north-easterly town, that's Verdistis), and then there's Cyseal and Fort Joy down at the bottom left. The coastline east of Cyseal needs some slight reworking to properly fit what we saw in OS2 but in general terms I think it gives a reasonable idea of where things might be in relation to one another.

And I shall reply to the PM forthwith! Well later today, anyway. smile

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Not the map I remember seeing but I haven't been able to find it. It may have been one of the world maps in game. Anyway, it was VERY general - good mainly for east of here, etc.

H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Cool! That map looks very much like it could be the real thing. I had heard of Verdistis and Yuthul Gor but got no idea how Luculla fits to the world. I think I ought to play through DD and BD to have a better understanding on the size and directions of Rivellon laugh

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
You may have been thinking of this map, which is the DD one to which I added some speculative annotations:

[Linked Image]

Edit: did I really spell that "Fjurds"? You'd think I'd manage to get at least that bit right. D:

My thinking being that the Dark Forest in the north-east of the OS1 map is probably one and the same as the Dark Forest in the south-west of the DD map. And I think that also fits in quite well with the coastline running up from Cyseal and Luculla into the Orobas Fjords, and the south coast running eastwards to eventually meet Yuthul Gor, with the OS2 map probably somewhere in between. That's my assumption, anyway, and unconfirmed by Larian who I think have made a deliberate decision to not be constrained, so it's possible it will never be confirmed nor denied.

Those two places are in DD, Hufgry, so you'll become familiar with them once you play it. biggrin Interestingly, the road to Verdistis was one of the first places demoed for the Divinity 2 engine: looked pretty cool, but unfortunately we never got to see it in game, I guess much like the farmland surrounding Aleroth which was supposed to be a feature but was cut. But as much as I'd loved to have seen more content, being someone who has herself been burned by projects that were way too ambitious, I can't disagree with their rationale: the alternative may have been nothing at all...

Last edited by vometia; 13/03/18 12:33 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
H
Hufgry Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Ah yes that is the map or one version of it. There were quite many looking similar with slight differences.
I started DD today and I'm loving it! Couple of years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd play a game that old or an isometric game where you can't rotate the camera, but I kinda like the static view in the game. It's like there's one thing less to worry about and can just focus on the exploration and story. I've uncovered maybe around 10-15% of the map now.

Oh yeah, I saw the short document that came with Developer's Cut and yes it's such a pity they had to scrap so many cool ideas from the game and some of them where almost done already but the timeline was just too tight, which makes it even more sad. That is very true, though. If they'd continued putting more things in D2, we might've never got the game in the end.

But could just be a bright side to the huge content cancellation. Now that we haven't seen those areas in D2, I think they're even more likely to come back in the next Larian game.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
DD is quite the game.

When you start a new game and go through the Farglow tutorial, you then get to see, that the Zeppelin travels from Farglow in the south through Oroba's Fjords, then turns around a cliff, just across the Champion Harbor (which you also see there) and then goes presumably (not shown though) near that big king's statue and exits Oroba's Fjords into Broken Valley (the devs thought it would be a better idea to show two goblins there instead). The intro (it's an actual intro, although it plays after the tutorial portion of the game) is beautiful, do people skip it, or something? So Farglow is in the south, where eventually Kali's fortress will be later. Rivertown might be where YOU (the hero, together with commander Rhode) came from. Just before you fight your fellow Slayers near Maxos Tower, Rhode said it's time to return to Rivertown. She's nowhere to be found in the Broken Valley Village (I checked the barracs, the Black Boar Inn and some other places just to be sure), or anywhere. Might be, that she took the Zeppelin and departed back to where you all came from? She's later in Aleroth during the expansion's story, but that doesn't mean, she couldn't go to Rivertown first and return later with new orders or anything.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think I found it slightly overwhelming first (and second) time I saw it, but it eventually becomes clear. There is a sorta kinda conjectural map that I worked on, originally by Renwex with unhelpful suggestions from me, based on how the in-game areas seem to fit together either as overtly depicted or by implication and suggestion. And more recently my somewhat shonky attempt to integrate DOS2's map into the overall whole. It's quite unfinished which I think is evident but this is what I came up with as a theoretical possibility. The relation of Broken Valley Village, Farglow, Aleroth and Rivertown are fairly well demonstrated in game, though, even if the rest of it is pure conjecture.

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I seem to remember Ft Joy being north of a river and part of the continent? Ah, who knows with my memory. Anyway, didn't this come up before - seems a bit of deja-vu just enveloped me?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The Reaper's Coast area, e.g. Fort Joy and all of the oval sea bounded by Driftwood on the other side, plus Paradise Downs and Arx are all taken directly from the in-game maps and artwork. It took quite a while to figure out which way is north, which is why it's a bit confusing! Mainly as the artwork map is mislabelled compared to the in-game directions which match up with what I've done here.

The early incarnation of the map as done by Renwex when the first chapter of DOS2 was released in beta had Fort Joy just off the coast of Cyseal, again at my instigation as I felt there was a strong affinity with both being the centre of Braccus' domain, similarities in architecture and so on, and this was as close as I could realistically get it and still having a coherent map. What's probably coincidental is the mid-point of Reaper's Coast looks quite a lot like the Hunter's Edge region which made joining the two of them a lot easier, especially as it maintained Arx's position pretty much due south of Aleroth: I swear somebody (Sebille, maybe?) said that was the case, but there seems to be no reference to it.

Yuthul Gor is the incongruous bit as the original Divine Divinity map has it directly south of Rivertown, which again the original Unofficial Mapp showed. It couldn't possibly coexist with Arx in that location plus the climate is totally wrong anyway so I had to use some "artistic licence" to reposition it to an area I thought it would still work, in particular for its raiders to menace Cyseal and Hunter's Edge, as we saw in DOS. There are telltale signs of its relocation, namely the large river traversing it has exactly the same outline as the coast south of Rivertown...

J'aime le fromage.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Oh, and the other thing is that I'd worked on the assumption that the Dark Forest in DD and DOS are one and the same. That's where my attempt at the map is rather conspicuously unfinished as it's supposed to be a vast, sprawling forest covering most of the central part of the landmass but I ran out of energy which is why it's looking a bit straggly and unconvincing.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard