#645269 21/04/18 10:58 AM
K
kuertee Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
New player here.

Questions about Jake's murder - the first main quest.

1. The player can't actually follow the arrest of Roberts, the mortician - to see who arrests him. Both the arresting guard and Roberts, himself, simply disappear when they get a short distance away from the morgue. And Syceal's mayor nor the legionnaire's captain don't have dialogue topics about this arrest. Is this a bug?
2. To advance the quest, DOES the player need to break into Esmeralda's private quarters and steal her book on how to commit the perfect murder? Sounds like the game doesn't allow the player to role-play as a "straight cop".

The two points above point to quest progression "dead-ends". I.e. in point 1, it's a literal dead-end because you can't see the event to its conclusion. And in point 2, the player is pigeon-holed into one character-based activity.

Do most quests in this game have these eccentricities? Or do they have logical and proper progressions that are obvious to the player?

Support
Support

When the guard shows up, that is the arrest. You should have had to speak to Aureus to get him arrested. You can head to the jail, downstairs in the legion headquarters, but I don't think Roberts will speak to you there.

You do not need to break into any houses or back rooms to advance the quest (or pickpocket, if you are adverse to that, as well). If you explore outside of town (still on the Cyseal map), you will eventually find evidence to point to the murderer.

What is illogical about an investigator (witch hunter) in a medieval setting, in a time of war, not necessarily respecting private property rights? It's not like there is a judicial system in place to request a search warrant...
That said, some people do have trouble with this quest line, possibly due to trying to follow it linearly, rather than exploring Cyseal and keeping an eye out for leads (or not paying attention to character comments after visiting the crime scene, etc). There is also an alternate solution if a character has Pet Pal (though it still requires collecting physical evidence).

K
kuertee Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
K
I found the hut in the forest before I learned from the mortician (1) his suspicions of the medic's apprentice and (2) that the medic bought the hut for an exorbitant amount from him.

I did return to the hut and did break open the door to acquire the evidence.

But in between those, I found it funny that the arrest of the mortician was a "dead end" because you couldn't interact with the arresting legionnaire nor follow them because the game removes them from the map when you do.

But it's good to hear that the quest doesn't require me to be a thief.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard