Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So how do I fix my issue with loading screens not actually loading into the next area? I just sit there for about an hour or so, then the game stops working. The first time it happened was when I defeated Zagan's Flying Demon, now it seems to happen a lot more. I'm running a Steam version (Dev's Cut) and I have the compatibility set to run for Win7 (I'm on Win10 x64), yet it still seems to do this. I'm really only able to circumvent this by saving before I go into any room with a door, because if I don't, I get an eternal loading screen of extreme irritation. I'm currently back in Aleroth, after freeing Ygerna's soul. Would be pretty aggravating to have to stop playing this most glorious walrus of a game! Help meh fix muh issue!! Thanks.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Hmm, that sounds familiar: I'm sure it's a known problem and probably has a known solution, though sadly unknown to me at the moment. Raze is your chap: he'll probably be along to answer in due course but I'll PM him anyway to make sure he's aware.

J'aime le fromage.
Support
Support

There are a couple fixes for this issue.

In the Graphics options, check the 'Show Advanced options' box, then scroll down to the bottom, and just above the FPS Cap slider, enable Lockstep Mode.

If that doesn't help, try the 4GB Patch to increase the amount of virtual memory that the game (or any 32 bit application) can access in 64 bit versions of Windows.

One person reported that neither of those helped, but the game was fine if they disabled VSync and ran the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode (right click on a shortcut, or the divinity2.exe executable in the install folder, select Properties, and switch to the Compatibility tab).
Another with the disk version of D2:ED (so no Lockstep Mode option) said it helped to enable 'Single-Core Optimized'.

Several people have reported that saving the game before using doors lowers the frequency of the hanging loading screen, and one said it always helped (sounds like that is the case for you, as well).

One person reported that setting the game to run in a window fixed the problem. To do so, edit the file below in a text editor and change the one to a zero in Fullscreen="1".
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile\graphicoptions.xml

You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-vista/
(covers Vista through Win 10)

Game Loads for ever

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for all the info, I'll be sure to come back to confirm if any of the options worked or not!

Nope didn't help. Even the saving seems to wear thin eventually..

Last edited by TheMightyWalrus; 21/04/18 03:57 PM.
Support
Support

Did you try both the developer and normal mode executables?

Unfortunately, that is everything I've seen reported to help.

Try setting the game to run on a single core (start the game, Alt-Tab, right click on task bar and select Task Manager [or hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc], in the Processes tab, right click on the game exe, select Set Affinity, then uncheck all but one core).
If that helps, and easier way to do that may be to set the executable to run in Win 98/ME compatibility mode.

Maybe you could try playing the game in a virtual machine, to see if that avoids the problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/196060/beginner-geek-how-to-create-and-use-virtual-machines

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/198427-how-to-install-windows-10-in-a-virtual-machine

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard