#650093 01/10/18 05:42 AM
T
TaylorH Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere, it seems like it must have been, but nowhere seems to actually just spell it out. I've searched Google and the forum, hmm...

I'm coming to the end of a rather long Divine Divinity journey to really internalize that my character (female mage) has no official place in history! Dang!

And, after 260+ hours (various failures included), I've decided that I may as well RP my way out of this paper bag with some hex editing and a possible trip to a certain unused quest area involving polymorph and a source pool (if anyone knows the coordinates, that'd also be helpful! Kiya's at xanlosch.de seems to need a password now!)

But! My real question is thus - which one is actually the canon class for the game? I am unsure, but I believe you are named Lucian from what I've read, but it appears as if he's a bit nebulous. Is he the Warrior, the Mage? Maybe the Survivor, but... Doesn't seem quite right somehow.

He seems more like he could be either the male Warrior or Wizard, and some text (I've been Googling, and spoiling more than I care to) in I think DOS2 rants about him frivolously, saying he's basically a warrior's warrior, and a wizard's wizard; Not Helpful! Then again... I guess at least he's not a survivor's survivor!

But yes, which character is the canon character?

Last edited by TaylorH; 01/10/18 05:49 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The same thing has troubled me a bit. I'm just going to take Bioshock Infinite's somewhat meandering approach of multiple alternative realities and decree that Lucian is a bit of a Lutece "twin" in that regard: mine is female, the one I subsequently met in the Dragon Knight Saga was male; but I figure since I usually use a similar contrivance for imagining my own character basically being the same one across multiple games, meeting herself in a different guise would've been kinda awkward anyway!

J'aime le fromage.
T
TaylorH Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Thanks for getting back to me Vometia! And sorry for not replying sooner!

Hmm... Though I never played Inifinite, from what I take from that is to just kind of wave it off in the parallel universe kind of way. And somehow make it gel mentally.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I think I kind of have to, but I'm being stubborn!

Stubborn enough that... Well, a friend and I have begun our co-op DOS2 adventure. And I noticed a painting of young Lucian very early on. And so, after much debating and looking, I'm pretty sure he is canon warrior. This is why...

The DoS intro features a shapely and muscular, yet not too bulky, shirtless male who has a larger-type sword which he seems accustomed to. He wears a fur headband-type-thing, his hair is lush and parted. His nose is defined, even broad up close, flat, with perhaps a slight downward point. His chin is defined and 'strong,' his face gaunt and thin by the jaw. His hair is luscious and parted.

The DOS2 painting shows similar. A slight hint of a cleft chin, rounded or pointed eyebrows, a comparatively unremarkable, even thin, figure for someone who very notably has a sizable two handed sword in the picture with him, one which looks decently similar to that of the DD hero's; he is also shirtless. Again, a type of thin headband, although this time it appear that Lucian here has short, brown, hair, with a a mature hairline (almost a slight widow's peak). Its also notable that his nose seems perhaps a bit more upturned here than the headbanded hero in the DD intro.

The shrine of Lucian right next to the painting shows an older man, his face largely shrouded in beard. The two most visible features, the straight as a board yet possibly slightly downward pointing nose, and the defined face. He wears plate armor but carries a staff - a mage's staff by the looks of it.

Finally, we have the silver haired, presumably older Lucian, from some other of the game's (the one you get if you Google 'Lucian the divine'). He has a mature hairline with long, silver, hair which is combed up and over his head (no part). His eyebrows are rounded, and he sports the hint of a cleft chin through his beard. His face is well defined, masculine, with a strong jaw and cheekbones (the cheekbones are very much a Lucian thing it seems). He also wears heavy-looking plate armor.

So!........

Back to Divine Divinity. First, lets assume young Lucian in the painting, who bears quite a bit of resemblence (though not perfect) to the unnamed fighter in the DD intro (who we can presume to be the default Marked One template given what we witness, and how the game starts), is in fact that intro character from DD. They both wear headbands, are shirtless, have a strange gauntness to them, and Lucian has the conspicuous sword - I'd even go as far to suggest that the painting of 'young Lucian' was used to quite purposefully harken back to DD.

Thus, on top of already knowing that the female characters are not canon, we can also toss out the silver-haired wizards. Young Lucian has brown hair.

That leaves us with survivor or warrior. Now to use feature-set clues. The DOS2 painting of Lucian slants towards survivor with regard to physique. He doesn't seem like much a warrior. Yet, he has a two handed sword in the back of the painting. In the DD intro, the hero's two-handed sword is used with reasonable finesse. Again, if we take those two together as one-in-the-same, then we are inclined to see Lucian as more of a warrior. This gives the DD warrior a further boost, given that he begins with 'sword expertise' and is the least clothed of all the male characters, despite holding an axe.

The various survivor faces for characters rarely align with Lucian. Only one of them has strong cheekbones and a straight, if possibly downward pointed nose. And even then, his face lacks the gaunt-ness. Furthermore, none of them have a hint of facial hair (something older Lucian always has, and which the warrior's stubble implies, but perhaps this is too nit-picky). More than anything, they leave their hair covered both in game and in-picture constantly. Every depiction of Lucian save for the painting shows him with long hair, and every depiction shows him displaying it proudly. Beyond this, there is the aforementioned text about 'a warrior's warrior, wizard's wizard', and he can't be the wizard if the assumptions here hold and Larian is consistent at all.

By contrast, the Warrior faces all align in one shape or another. From the odd gauntness, the right type of nose, the long hair. It fits more than anything else. Also, people have suggested Lucian is a paladin of sorts, and this lends much more credence to a warrior who picked up healing spells, etc, than a survivor who did (if we follow standard, contemporary, fantasy expectations). I think it may also be a fun poke at the fact that I think even some on this forum have suggested strongly picking up the healing spell as a warrior.

Basically, it becomes a case of 'if the shoe fits.' And it fits warrior a heck of a lot better on numerous fronts than it does the survivor. It's also important to note that the other two Marked Ones were both warriors as well. And that the warrior is the only class to receive five possible face tiles, instead of four, and is placed in the middle between the other two classes before being double up with female versions (though perhaps that's reaching). It appears almost set up to succeed, and Larian really didn't need to do a 'young Lucian' painting that looks a lot like the DD intro character.

All of that being fairly settled, it then falls to face tiles. Which of the face tiles is the Lucian face? Sigh... Difficult. The default face and face 2 have a noticeable cleft chin, and a hinted one, respectively. The third face kind of looks like the Rock, the fourth has a chin and hair colour more akin to the DD intro hero, with combed back hair like older Lucian, and the fifth looks kind of like an old man... elf.

3 and 5 seem very unlikely. But 1, 2, and 4 all have some features and not others - or rather worse, they more closely match depictions of Lucian in different games. Default picture looks like the older 'Lucian the divine', 4's severity, eyebrows, and hair colour match DD and all depictions of Lucian better overall, but miss out on important elements of any one depiction. And 2 has lush, parted, hair, the hint of a cleft chin, and the extremely gaunt cheek lines of DD intro character, but a seemingly 'weaker' jaw and straight eyebrows - he looks almost sad.

Well, that's my deeply in depth rant to the center of canon Lucian. On a balance of probabilities he is a Male Warrior, with facial tileset 1, 2, or 4.

Edit Note: Realized that I used 'double chin' before remembering that isn't what I meant, at all. I corrected it to say 'cleft chin'.

Last edited by TaylorH; 11/10/18 08:19 AM.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
The original warrior ambushed in the woods in the intro of DD seems run of the mill barbarian warrior to me - reminds me a lot of "Arnold" as Conan. smile

T
TaylorH Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hmm, a good idea... Thinking of him thematically like that... That train of thought lends itself to just the default warrior face

I wish there was more to go on... And there probably is, I just haven't played it yet. Sigh, ^^

stranger
stranger
Sorry for replying to an older post, I suppose...

The intro video shows a male warrior, so that's what Lucian starts out as.

I also think the default warrior portrait is the "canon" one if you were to ask me.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard