Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Similer Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
hello, my laptop is a bit slow compared to my work needs. So I decided to add more ram to it. hmm i have an extra ram from my old laptop. I decided to install it but after reboot I did not see that ram in my laptop. I do not know how to do it. I need some help.hello, my laptop is a bit slow compared to my work needs. So I decided to add more ram to it. hmm i have an extra ram from my old laptop. I decided to install it but after reboot I did not see that ram in my laptop. I do not know how to do it. I need some help[url=http://larian.com].[/url]

T
Banned
Banned
T
First of all you are posting this in totally wrong place.

The correct place for such questions is this:
Baldur's Gate III - Technical & Gameplay Problems

Secondly no offense, but your old RAM from old laptop is perhaps not even supported by your new laptop so if that is the case then it is impossible it would work.

Even if it would work then RAM would work with the slowest RAM speed to my understanding so not good idea at all to do this.

You can not simply add some old RAM you must see what RAM your new laptop uses... and it should be exactly same kind of RAM and speed.

It is not my job or task how to add RAM to an latpop I will not do that and in the process if wrongly done you can:
A. Loose your warrantry perhaps maybe.
B. Do damage to your new laptop.

Well so no I refuse to give some instructions sorry.

However you could ask a professional store and ask them if they could sell RAM and install it or better idea would
have been to buy from the beginning good enough GAMING computer. BG3 is releaed likely in year 2023 so no hurry to buy new computer.

However I think you are so lost in this process (do not get me wrong I kwow absolutely nothing of a car engine totally novice in that).
Usually when it is lapop people buy a GAMING LAPTOP with enough memory 16 GB RAM DDR4 and good enough graphiccard and good enough CPU (prossror).

I am sorry I feel you do this wrong way. You should know all detailes grahiccard , RAM and CPU.

Example here are 2 desktop computers:
Players with good enough hardware for BG3 maximum graphics FULL HD despite graphiccards are old:

Nice! Comparison:
You lady andromedia087 have
CPU released 2021 so quite new CPU.
INTEL I5 11400 with TURBO speed 4,6 GHZ and 6 cores and 12 threads.

Mine is released 2018 CPU and that year 2018 I bought it.
AMD RYZEN 5 2600 X with in TURBO speed 4,2 GHZ 6 cores and 12 threads.

Congratulations you lady andromedia087 have faster CPU then mine not that there is practical difference in BG3, but some other games. Both seems good enough for BG3 FULL HD maximum graphics at least.

Your lady andromedia087 RAM
16 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ

My RAM:
16 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ

You lady andromedia087 have Nvidia 1080 8 GB DDR5 that is nice released 2017 and still good enough for FULL HD graphics and certainly good enough for BG3.

I have also graphiccard released in 2017.
Nvidia 1070 Titanium 8 GB DDR5... that is slightly faster then Nvidia 1070, but your lady andromedia087 Nvidia 1080 8 GB DDR 5 is slightly faster then mine. That said I guess hard to notice difference in BG3 with FULL HD graphics.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 19/06/22 03:56 AM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
My short advice is this unless your current computer has very good CPU and graphic card and you only need more RAM perhaps buy new gaming computer example late into 2023.

You can still use your current laptop for hmm say other things that are less demanding then Baldurs Gate 3.

Most people do not add more RAM to a laptop and I have never done that. They add RAM to a desktop. Well or they buy a laptop or desktop with enough RAM 16GB RAM and good enough graphic card and CPU.

FOR BG3 the amount of RAM is recommended 16 GB RAM, but that is not enough you need good CPU and graphic card as well.

Now you perhaps wondered why both me and that lady player used same kind of RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 MHZ? Because after 3200 MHz speed it is less difference with RAM speed but difference with example 2400 MHZ RAM vs 3200 MHZ is noticeable.

You should now all parts in very detail before you buy a computer... Look I know nothing of cars... really I would ask a friend advice even if I would simple buy a car. However I do know much about gaming computers and I work with IT support as my job actually in real life (unless you count landlord as well), but last time I checked you do not pay me money and I am not hired by you.

Perhaps you could ask a friend or work colleague if they could give ask advice what to buy next time you buy computer or you can post in technical forums.

Well and how to add RAM you can ask that in technical forums but as I explained I doubt your old RAM would work in your new laptop and I will not give any advice that could perhaps even damage your computer.

Perhaps you could ask a store if you buy RAM can they install it and the cost of it, but then comes the other issues do you have fast enough graphic card and CPU?

Last edited by Terminator2020; 18/06/22 08:02 PM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
This thread needs to be updated. I will make a work travel that takes months abroad. Well not only that a friend of mine wants that I travel with him to Spain or Greece late Autumn 2022 exactly when not decided but absolutely not September.

Therefore I bought this gaming laptop that was on a discount got it roughly for 1300 euro.

Why not wait for Nvidia 4000 series? I guess Nvidia 4000 series comes out on Autumn 2022 to desktops but before we see any kind of laptops with them will be deep into 2023.
In addition I do not like the fact that Nvidia 4000 series will require really much more power like super power source example 800 Watt-1200 Watt and have much higher electricity costs. In addition more power makes it likely to run more hot and thus need more expensive cooling systems.

Nvidia 3000 series is the last Nvidia with reasonable energy costs before Nvidia 4000 series. Of course what happens in future with Nvidia 5000 series etc is unknown.

CPU is strong enough indeed and I do not care that it is older generation not the newest INTEL since so affordable price to buy. Well and then I am not going to start a Intel vs AMD war. AMD 5800H CPU is strong CPU and roughly same speed as this INTEL CPU.

Intel® Core™ i7-11800H

Intel Core i7-11800H Processor - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech Intel Core i7-11800H The Intel Core i7-11800H is a high-end octa-core SoC for gaming laptops and mobile workstations. It is belongs to the Tiger Lake H45 family and was announced in mid 2021.

Well and CPU is good enough for sure 8 CORES 16 threads and in TURBO speed 4,6HZ and CPU cache is enough 24 MB!

RAM 16 GB DDR4
Ram amount is good for BG3!

Graphic card Nvidia 3060 6GB DDR6! It is not super highend so forget about Ray tracing but since laptop is FULL HD resolution display it is good enough for sure for many games and will run BG3 fine on maximum settings FULL HD!

One TERA fast SSD!
In addition I bough an external fast 2 TERA M2 SSD for roughly 75 euro also that with much discount. Thus it will have 3 TERA fast SSD together for this GAMING LAPTOP!

Well and it is ASUS TUF extra durable gaming laptop!

Windows 10 I am kind of old school and do no need rush to Windows 11 yet and that is fine.

DISPLAY 17,3 INCH FULL HD resolution144FPS it means some games that run better could show higher framerate then the typical 60 FPS.

Yes and this GAMING LAPTOP is absolutely good enough for BG3 maximum FULL HD graphics!!! Of course I will enjoy other games as well. Well and no I do not need Ray tracing.

Offtopic? No my point is that if you have old computer you could upgrade to newer computer. In addition I guess some players do not have high budget and I would say for its reasonable budget it is pretty good. Of course if you want to spend more money and get better computer that is absolutely fine.
Well and I am sure you can get better desktop, but I needed really a laptop.

I have not had time to play yet BG3 with this gaming laptop and it will take time to install software to it etc.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard