Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
As a guy who played Divinity EE i am in the habit of ignoring food stuffs since you it wasn't an effective use of AP. I wonder if in this version the value of food increases thanks to the AP changes. I want others feedback whether its worth doing a playthrough with a character whom is focused around foods.

Rogues are the best
For now they are really basic buffs, +1 stat here for like 3 turns, +10% resistance there for a few turns and food is even less. So at the moment food is not something that most players will make an effort to use. If they just increased the time they lasted or changed from turns to minutes that'd be better, but buffing in battle is eh especially since its first to cc wins the whole battle, but out of combat the duration decreases too rapidly to pre-buff unless you know like a centimeter away the battle will start.

old hand
old hand
Food's about the same, if not worse. Probably only a couple foods remotely worth the AP with five star diner (that still exists right?). Honey (30% poison resist, 10% heal, and +2 int with 5 star diner) is probably the best food, though pretty limited in circumstances its good in. You're not going to build a whole character around food, though it can add some... flavor (sorry :P).

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I see well i sure hope they introduce some stupidly good food later on to add reason to use the talent.

Rogues are the best
old hand
old hand
Yeah, the drillworm really ought to drop some tasty fillets if you ask me :P

They don't even have to buff the existing foods THAT much to make them useful. If, say, Dwarven Stew granted 15% heal, +10% earth resist, and +2 strength as a base bonus, it would be very solid use of 1 AP (if not a bit OP at that point, may need just +1 strength) with 5 star diner doubling those quantities.

Another idea is to make each food buff permanent until you eat something else, when it will go to a 5-6 turn duration. This will let you prebuff a little depending on the fight. But there definitely should be a penalty for eating too many foods (3-4+) at once (like, a poison resist and move speed penalty :P)

veteran
veteran
If you already have 30 STR, 2 STR more won't do much, so even in midgame they turn quite pointless?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
If you already have 30 STR, 2 STR more won't do much, so even in midgame they turn quite pointless?

Presumably the attribute system will end up less inflated (particularly from loot) in the final game so each point will be a bit more meaningful. And I suggested a base bonus of +2 str, so +4 strength with five star diner. A +20% strength damage boost, +20% earth resist, and 30% heal is quite something for 1 AP, though perhaps that's about the bonus investing a talent point should grant.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Maybe a scaling bonus related to your current level?

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Food and potions? well except for the last resort healing potion there is not much use for them.
BUT the flesh eating for elves are amazing. I put them on the hotbar and it brings one of the strongest healing for just one ap.

Amberstar
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Pimpel
Food and potions? well except for the last resort healing potion there is not much use for them.
BUT the flesh eating for elves are amazing. I put them on the hotbar and it brings one of the strongest healing for just one ap.
Most (all?) consumables are 1AP. You may want to heal yourself and then cast a healing spell unto another. Elf have no advantage in that respect.

I have found though there is no point in keeping consumables. The whole eating thing is pointless and no-one does it. The only thing worth it is Honey (and the odd thing like Lohse guitar)

Larian are trying to force the issue by changing most of the "Blood Rose" to just "Rose" which you can't craft into the elixir but only use as a one-off potion.

This is a crappy idea. Whereas before you could make 3 potions now you can make one. If you play solo this makes a big difference - if you don't it really doesn't.

Unless you want to prep for a fight by eating a rose (not a blood rose obviously), strumming your lute and smearing yourself with honey I suppose.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Well... the Elf's flesh eating ability... Is a massive heal (stronger than basically any healing spell in the game) and it offers massive continuous healing... AND it creates a blood surface... AND you can find tons of bodyparts.

So... I guess having endless access to super healing potions for free isn't an great advantage.

veteran
veteran
I've been suggesting this since before D:OS EE, but I'll do it again: Food should give smaller individual health boosts than potions, BUT give them EACH TURN for the duration of the food. (Maybe have food last for 4-6 turns too.) Probably boost the other buffs somewhat as well, because a +1 to an attribute in D:OS 2 is now worth half as much as it was in D:OS 1.

That alone might make Five Star Diner worthwhile, because right now, if only one food is really good enough for Five Star Diner to make useful, that's another crappy Talent.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Neonivek
Well... the Elf's flesh eating ability... Is a massive heal (stronger than basically any healing spell in the game) and it offers massive continuous healing... AND it creates a blood surface... AND you can find tons of bodyparts.

So... I guess having endless access to super healing potions for free isn't an great advantage.
Elf flesh-eating is a racial trait not a foodstuff. Try feeding flesh to buddy or eating it as a human.

In any case eating flesh doesn't create a blood surface - only Flesh-Sacrifice sacrifice does and that doesn't require any body parts at all.

Nor is it flesh eating the strongest healing in the game as Healing Elixir (Yarrow + potion) is 80%.

The question was about foodstuffs. Not the same.

Foodstuffs (which anyone can eat to get a bonus) are weak. So are potions - I've only used wits potion to get the tyrants trousers. Otherwise they are mostly pointless at the moment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
IMO Food should be shifted to a "diet" system.
The benefits of food being effectively permanent until replaced, with Five Star Diner allowing the character to hold two at a time.

The game would generally benefit from having certain effects and cooldowns tick down on a "combat encounter" basis.

N
old hand
old hand
N
"Nor is it flesh eating the strongest healing in the game as Healing Elixir (Yarrow + potion) is 80%."

A one time 80%

Flesh Eating might be more then 80% if you count the full rotation.

Last edited by Neonivek; 31/03/17 01:01 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I agree with this system alot more than the current system which forces you to either A use AP on consumables or B each consumables before an encounter and lose it thanks to conversation with an npc or it'll only have 1-2 turns left on effect.

Rogues are the best
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Naqel
IMO Food should be shifted to a "diet" system.
The benefits of food being effectively permanent until replaced, with Five Star Diner allowing the character to hold two at a time.

The game would generally benefit from having certain effects and cooldowns tick down on a "combat encounter" basis.
Until replaced means, you find one good food and stick with it for ever. Or you need better and better food.
I would say, food stays active until end of the next combat. That way you need continuous supply of food. (Maby you meant the same.)
Five Star Dinner could have 2 bonuses and/or effect lasts 2 fights.

Last edited by gGeo; 31/03/17 07:20 PM.
veteran
veteran
Semi-/Permanent bonuses from food lasting for an entire fight or until you switch them out would also be a good change.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard