Next Thread
Print Thread
#605924 28/06/17 12:27 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
So I LOVE D:OS. Just recently got into it. But there are a few things that really frustrated me.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that a lot of people who have come to play D:OS came from Infinity games, and I recognise that Larian wants to keep it from being a love letter to Baldur's Gate, but this seems to come at the cost of a few really powerful quality of life features.

-Click and drag to select which characters are chained together with a selection box when out of combat.
Trying to figure out which character you have selected always seems to be a pain. Not sure if that's a symptom of my colorblindness, though. Would be nice to have several different ways to organically select who you want to do what, and who you want to control out of combat.

-Double click on an area of the map to move the camera to that point, and close the map menu.
I have spent SO much time fighting with that damn map. I know the waypoint system is there, but you get a better feel of the map when you can pinpoint areas by cross referencing the map with in-game. It also gives you a chance to do some inventory management when you have the characters walking somewhere, which is a daunting task in any Larian game (though one that I kind of enjoy.)

-Submenus on the action bar
Alright, now I know this one starts veering a little far into Infinity territory, but with the ABUNDANCE of skills, special abilities, item-granted skills...the skillbar tends to get a little cluttered and difficult to navigate. Now I know the memory system is going to help with that, but it'd be nice to have a button that can bring up a small pop-up menu of favorited skills--for instance, you're out of combat, you need to pick a lock. You can either navigate to the lockpick on your bar, your skill book, etc...or, have one button that takes up one space on the skillbar, you click it, and it displays all of your favorited skills. Sneak, lockpick, what have you.

-Character selection lines/begin of turn lines
One of the biggest complaints I have with the current system is the lack of character personality. I know that it's fleshed out if you talk to them often, etc...but a large part of a character's personality is in their little phrases here and there. Would love to hear the characters be a little more chatty.

-INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
Now I love me some inventory management. I like separating stuff, organizing it...but the system is very lacking. I am aware there will probably be some new systems, but nothing can get me more excited than renamable containers. Rename a chest "Vendor Trash", pile all your greens and blues in there, and have a system in which you can sell objects in an unlocked container in your inventory directly to a vendor. Or even put the container on the hotbar, so you can have all your effect arrows sorted, and taking up only one slot!

Those are a few of my suggestions. They're pretty small, and I think they'd be fairly easy to implement, but they could make a WORLD of difference. The best way to get immersed into a game is to feel like it's an extension of yourself; something you can interact with fluidly and precisely. D:OS feels like it's fighting me a little sometimes, and it more often than naught is the reason that I close it down for the day instead of doing one more dungeon.

Forgive me if any of these have been addressed already, I just made an account to share my two cents, after having binged the YouTube updates!

Last edited by vometia; 28/06/17 07:26 PM. Reason: formatting
stranger
stranger
I like the idea of renamable containers!

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
i like the map/camera idea

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Shaunzy Bombzy
Rename a chest "Vendor Trash", pile all your greens and blues in there, and have a system in which you can sell objects in an unlocked container in your inventory directly to a vendor. Or even put the container on the hotbar, so you can have all your effect arrows sorted, and taking up only one slot!

Technically, you can dump stuff into a backpack, and then put that on the hotbar for quick access to those items.

There's a mod for Original Sin 1 called XC_Bags, which adds a bunch of named bags that auto-sorts items into them. So you had a bag for arrows, a bag for potions, etc.

Being able to rename a container, set certain items types to automatically go in there, and then be able to vendor that container's contents wholesale would save so much time and energy wasted on trying to organize your inventory.

Double click on an area of the map to move the camera to that point, and close the map menu.

I think this is a great suggestion. You can already scroll your camera down to where that area probably is, so being able to save some time by just using your map to get there would be super helpful.

Alright, now I know this one starts veering a little far into Infinity territory, but with the ABUNDANCE of skills, special abilities, item-granted skills...the skillbar tends to get a little cluttered and difficult to navigate. ...it'd be nice to have a button that can bring up a small pop-up menu of favorited skills...

Kind of like that "Toggle Actions" button, right? That would be nice to be able to organize skills a bit. My healer/buffer's skillbar tends to go out of control as the game goes on. I could see a few skills being condensed down like that, and cycling between one another once one is used/goes on cooldown.

So for instance, you'd use Restoration, and then the icon switches to the next spell you have set - like First Aid. Right clicking on that ability would open up a little submenu of skills (like when you click on toggle actions), and clicking on one of those abilities sets that hotbar slot to that ability.

[Linked Image]

Certain polymorph abilities could use this kind of feature as well. For instance, using Spread Your Wings then replaces that ability with Take Flight, and right clicking it would let you set it back to Spread Your Wings if needed, or once Floating runs out, Take Flight would automatically switch back to Spread Your Wings.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of "Toggle Actions", we really need the ability to put those actions on our hotbar - basic attack and lockpick/pickpocket specifically. Currently, if you remove basic attack from your hotbar, it's pretty much gone forever.

apprentice
apprentice
Renameable containers would be amazing. Typically in OS I would take containers of different types (A barrell, a basket, a backpack, etc) Stuff that looked different and remember which container held which kind of stuff. Being able to name them would be so much better though!

"You either die the hero or live to see yourself brought back in the sequel as an angsty magical terrorist."
-Serious brownie points if you get the character to whom I am referring.-

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard