Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Why is there a persuasion check here if I need 99? What's the point? Is the game just giving me a middle finger? Bug? What? Did the devs plan to give the player a different outcome here, and maybe forgot to finish it?

Just another half-a$$ed broken thing in this game. I'm getting used to it.

Last edited by 123xzcs; 16/01/18 05:38 AM.
E
E
I remember to have tried all options with my Persuasion character and they all said it needed 99, so go figure.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Some persuasion checks are not meant to be completed. For example, if you try to persuade the troll in the bridge by using Strenght, you will always fail, because you won't intimidate a troll.
While it does makes sense, the problem is that you never know beforehand which one isn't going to work. So it's nothing but a guessing game, and therefore, bad design, because it's pointless and serves no purpose but to reload the game and try again.

123xzcs Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BowieFunes
Some persuasion checks are not meant to be completed. For example, if you try to persuade the troll in the bridge by using Strength, you will always fail, because you won't intimidate a troll.
While it does makes sense,...

Actually it doesn't make any sense to have multiple persuasion choices, and all of them are predetermined losing checks. That serves no purpose other than to give the player a false sense of control. That troll example is another pointless losing check, if it's not accompanied by other choices. Always-losing checks make sense only when there are other dialog alternatives that lead to different outcomes or different conversation paths.

In fact, more generally, it makes no sense to have all the dialog choices to be persuasion checks (losing or not) without any regular dialog choices. The player should always have the option to NOT attempt to persuade an NPC. As long as there are always regular dialog choices, then it's OK to sometimes sneak in a losing persuasion choice as ONE OF THE CHOICES in the conversation. But this multiple persuasion-only all-losing choices is BS.

Last edited by 123xzcs; 17/01/18 12:38 AM.
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
this is actually the only example in which it is literally impossible to succeed a persuasion check with a character

for certain characters, it makes sense that certain persuasion check options would not work. for example, attempting to intimidate a huge troll should fail, as it would be sensible narratively

the forest tiger, however, cannot be persuaded successfully regardless of option chosen, and is (as far as i know) the only example in the game of a persuasion check that cannot be succeeded at any persuasion level. even persuasion instances like the corpse of alice alisceon or
braccus rex
can succeed, though succeeding them makes no difference

i don't really understand the purpose of this; sure, i suppose it's fair that certain npcs cannot be talked out of things, but the game set a precedent with regards to persuasion, in that if there is a persuasion check, there must be some way of succeeding it, whether it require a high persuasion level or simply picking the best fitting option. if this wasn't the case, then having persuasion in the game at all would be pointless. while i'm sure the devs didn't mean anything malicious by including this (i'm certain by this point that it's not a bug, since many have pointed it out), it doesn't strike me as a good design decision to suddenly undermine a game-long precedent and railroad you into a pre-determined outcome regardless of choice. ultimately, the forest tiger doesn't serve any real purpose and there's no tangible consequence, but nevertheless whenever i encounter it i just get kind of irritated that there's absolutely nothing i can do to alter the encounter in any way, especially in a game that generally does a pretty good job of avoiding the 'illusion of choice' trope that is so prevalent in rpgs

Last edited by miaasma; 18/01/18 07:39 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
for certain characters, it makes sense that certain persuasion check options would not work. for example, attempting to intimidate a huge troll should fail, as it would be sensible narratively

It is an innovative design. Figuring out the most persuasive option is trickier and more interesting than a single skill check.

Unfortunately, Larian made a mistake. They shouldn't have shown the required attributes. That's misleading. If your talker was a fight-type character, it would occurs to most players that strength options are more likely to succeed but it's actually not true.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard