Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I just finished Divinity: Original Sin a few months back and I loved it - I like how it ended but like all good games I was sad that I hadn't done more -

A few weeks back a friend of mine let me play Divinity: Original Sin II but a few hours in I noticed a few recurring issues that made playing really difficult - I hope to buy the game for myself but I thought Id look for input first.

The first I can only assume is a bug. I have found, while playing single player, I can not access random characters' inventory both in and out of battle. The quickest solution I have had success with is simply saving and reloading. While this corrects the issue temporarily, in some fights I see this issue reemerge multiple times making game-play tedious at best.

The second issue is the hit and miss mechanics. --- Just recently I had one where I turned an enemy into a chicken, knocked it down and missed hitting it with two different characters each using melee attacks. I often find myself missing petrified or otherwise immobilized characters, am I missing something?

old hand
old hand
#1 is supposedly an UI bug. The idea was that you can't exchange items between party members if any of them is in combat. Something causes it not to unlock again when it's supposed to, it seems. Back then I'd right-click the pyramid from the inventory of Guy#1 (very far away) and choose "Send to Guy#2", and Guy#2 (in combat) would be able to use the pyramid. Saving/reloading whenever it happens would fix it. Some have reported that simply unchaining/rechaining character portrait worked, too. Basically something that refreshes inventory would fix this.

#2 - I can't recall this very well since it's been a while since I last played, but boy what you described kinda ticks me off a little. I remember how I HATED this particular problem in Pillars of Eternity II. I'd IMMOBILIZE a guy and then I'd watch my two fighters miss him 3 times in a row. Since he's higher level, it would take quite a bit of luck to immobilize him in the first place, then guess what, when you finally succeed in immobilizing him, you have to ROLL NORMALLY to hit him. Having to roll normally to hit someone who is held rigid in one spot is stupid, to put it politely. A decreased miss chance still doesn't cut it. You SHOULDN'T miss at all in such a situation. If it's not an automatic hit, then maybe a 1 or 2% miss chance, since you could argue that you could trip and do a critical miss, I suppose.

I might have got carried away a little there, as I really can't recall this issue very well in DOS2. I'll just trust in your description.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 09/08/18 09:03 AM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
In the first game you could always hit people that were affected by hard CC like knockdown, in the desond game they removed that sadly.

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
My unintentional pun aside it is good to know that CC now performs differently - I am not sure how I feel about even more RNG in a game with a "Tactician" mode but at least I can stop yelling at my fighters.

After a bit more googling I did find posts about an "...upcoming Definitive Edition..." that might fix the inventory issues I have. A bit more looking and I found patch notes but the last date mentioned was May 16th, 2018 - and no mention of the inventory bug. Anyone know when the Definitive Edition is/was released?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Geodripp
My unintentional pun aside it is good to know that CC now performs differently - I am not sure how I feel about even more RNG in a game with a "Tactician" mode but at least I can stop yelling at my fighters.

After a bit more googling I did find posts about an "...upcoming Definitive Edition..." that might fix the inventory issues I have. A bit more looking and I found patch notes but the last date mentioned was May 16th, 2018 - and no mention of the inventory bug. Anyone know when the Definitive Edition is/was released?

Those notes are for the current edition of the game. There won't be any further patches for it until the Definitive Edition is out on Aug 31st.

Also, saves from the current edition of the game won't be compatible with the DE, so you might want to consider waiting until the DE is out to restart your playthrough. The current edition will still be there and you can keep playing it for as long as you like though.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Oh no! Starting over sounds really hard :(
Hmm - maybe ill keep this play through and start DE when I can find someone to play multiplayer with.

One last question - I read somewhere that owners of DOS2 will have access to DE as soon as it comes out - is this true? (If true, was there a deadline?)

I haven't purchased a copy of (DOS2) my own yet - just played my friends - but Id probably jump on it if it meant I wouldn't have to buy the game and extra content to fix the game later, heh..

Thanks so much for the help so far

Support
Support

Yes, it is, and no, there is no deadline.

A
stranger
stranger
A
What is the actual single player mechanic involving inventory access in combat?

Are we, or aren't we, supposed to be able to have full access to party members' inventories during combat? I can't seem to find a clear answer to this question.

I get the feeling we are, because while some party members' bags randomly go gray during combat (unless they're dead?), I'm able to move around items across members using the crafting panel (which works, but I'd obviously rather just use the inventory panel).

I just bought the game, so this is still fresh for me, especially since I don't do in-game tutorials. But I encountered this problem almost immediately.

veteran
veteran
In combat you only have access to the inventory of the character whose turn it is.

Support
Support

You should also be able to access the inventory of dead party members.

The system has been changed for the Definitive Edition.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
IIRC, knockdown gives a -100 dodging penalty

dodging in this game seems to work through values like that, so a person who is knocked down will almost never dodge anything, but add something like evasive aura on top of other dodging/miss values and you might still miss them

in the same way, your character can use uncanny evasion but be flanked and still get hit

not sure if that pertains to the scenarios you're describing

D
stranger
stranger
D
The thing about dodging and accuracy is that they are 2 separate variables that are multiplied to give you the HIT chance. E.G.:

scenario 1
100% accuracy (attacking char)
90% dodging (defending char)
HIT chance is 100% x (100% - 90%) = 10% HIT chance

or 1 x (1-0.9) = 0.1 HIT chance

so...

scenario 2
90% accuracy (attacking char)
0% dodging (defending char --> CC'd!)
HIT chance is 90% x (100% - 0%) = 90% HIT chance

or 0.9 x (1-0) = 0.9 HIT chance

There's your mystery.

*caveat: 1-dodging because that is the inability chance of the defending character. you calculate for a hit not a mix of hitting and missing.
Uhmmm, you calculate by multiplying apples with apples not apples with oranges.

Just the result of taking 2 variables, not 1. which is more realistic. the attacker (in scenario 2) didn't miss because he the guy wasn't frozen, but because he was a moron... 10% of the time.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard