Next Thread
Print Thread
#649712 18/09/18 07:47 PM
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
I get an immediate crash error upon starting the Def Ed Engine that says "Glasses has stopped working..." on Steam.

The Classic edition seems to start up just fine, and I was using the Def Ed all last night with no issues. I tried uninstalling the program several times, restarting steam and windows. I even tried to boot up the program directly from install folder under Run as Administrator. It just will not start.

Something drastic has changed since last night and I'm not sure what to do.

Can anyone advise? Running on Windows 7, NVIDIA GTX 980, INTEL i-7 4790k & 16 GB RAM.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I have not 100% exactly the same, but a very similar issue.

I use the Steam engine, and it works just fine when I launch the classic DOS2 Editor, but when I attempt to launch the one for the DefEd, it straight up won't load. The loading window doesn't even show up, although steam shows me briefly "playing The Divinity Engine 2" before going back to not in a game.

It worked just fine yesterday when I was working on my mod, but the update today appears to have broken something.

Hope I can help solve the above issue and mine by also providing some of my specs:
Windows 7 (x64)
Alienware
INTEL i7-48000MQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
[quote=SafiraPanther]I use the Steam engine, and it works just fine when I launch the classic DOS2 Editor, but when I attempt to launch the one for the DefEd, it straight up won't load. [/quote]

We do have the same issue, it seems. I can run the Classic DOS2 editor, as well. The Def Ed editor will not even start up.

So at least it's not just me lol.

A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=hellbiter88][quote=SafiraPanther]I use the Steam engine, and it works just fine when I launch the classic DOS2 Editor, but when I attempt to launch the one for the DefEd, it straight up won't load. [/quote]

We do have the same issue, it seems. I can run the Classic DOS2 editor, as well. The Def Ed editor will not even start up.

So at least it's not just me lol. [/quote]
It's not just you. I was literally using it this morning fine, then it stopped working over lunch. I registered for these forums to post that I've been trying to fix it for several hours now and nothing has worked. I've tried:

1) Rebooting Windows 7.
2) Uninstalling and reinstalling the tool.
3) Uninstalling and reinstalling both tool and game (in process, stupid slow Steam download).
4) Checking/repairing kernel.dll (the specific fault module).
5) Checking Windows Event Logs.

According to the event logs, the Application Error says:

Faulting application name: DivinityEngine2.exe, version: 3.6.29.9522, time stamp: 0x5ba0cad2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23915, time stamp: 0x59b94f2a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
Faulting process id: 0x8c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d44fa8d8a4e24a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Divinity Engine 2\DefEd\DivinityEngine2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 17fe96dc-bb9c-11e8-829d-408d5cbffba8

According to the event logs, the .NET runtime error says:

Application: DivinityEngine2.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
at <Module>.main(System.String[])

Usually when something works fine at first, then stops working on the same boot of Windows, something glitched on that boot, but I've done everything including a hard power reset to fix that sort of issue, and none of the file integrity tools I've used indicate anything on my system is corrupt. It'd be nice to get this fixed, to say the least - this is now the second time in three days I've reinstalled everything (including the game) because of some kind of program error.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I'm having the same problem on a Windows 7 PC. Divinity Engine 2 Definitive Edition was working just fine last night. It only stopped working after the Steam update today. The classic version still works, but the DE version crashes immediately upon starting it up.

K
stranger
stranger
K
The same issue also happen to me. I have use it last night, but this morning, it won't start. The game is very success, but the modding tool is so poor compare to TW or elder scroll or even C&C. I hope larian could spend more time on the editor.

Last edited by KiyamaHarumi; 19/09/18 02:58 AM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
[quote=KhanAidan]I'm having the same problem on a Windows 7 PC. Divinity Engine 2 Definitive Edition was working just fine last night. It only stopped working after the Steam update today. The classic version still works, but the DE version crashes immediately upon starting it up. [/quote]

I missed the Steam update - left my computer on over lunch, so I imagine it happened then. I'm assuming it's an update to the Divinity Engine 2 tool? It'd explain a lot about why it abruptly stopped working a few hours after I used it last.

Hi everyone,

This appears to be an issue that exclusively affects users using an older version of Windows. We are aware of the issue and will release a hotfix as soon as it is fixed.

Thanks for your reports!

Last edited by Larian_JB; 19/09/18 07:36 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
This old dinosaur OS user certainly appreciates that you all are looking into it. Thanks!

N
stranger
stranger
N
Hello, this problem is also affecting me; a Windows 10 user.

It acts like it's loading but then just abruptly closes.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Larian_JB
Hi everyone,

This appears to be an issue that exclusively affects users using an older version of Windows. We are aware of the issue and will release a hotfix as soon as it is fixed.

Thanks for your reports!

Just wanted to say thanks for the hotfix! The DE version appears to be up and running now.

H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Thank you so much for the fix!! Working again ^_^

S
stranger
stranger
S
Thank you very much for the fix! You guys sure are fast, I'm very happy to be able to hop back into modding with such a short downtime :)

stranger
stranger
I am on the latest Windows 10 patch running the most recent version of nvidia drivers. It crashes to desktop exactly like what was described here. I've tried for several hours running in admin, disable fullscreen enhancements, compat mode for Windows 8 and Windows 7. Still not working. I've even rolled back nvidia drivers as far as 4 months. Still no go. I adjusted the nvidia control panel to force override the game's settings. No go. I've adjusted the resolution down from 2K @144Hz to 1K @60Hz. No go.

stranger
stranger
As you can guess by my name, I registered just to inquire about the extremely frustrating crash on startup - around which there is no workaround and no fix (tried everything listed everywhere). Similarly as Corsar001 above, all my software is up to date and running win 10.

I think the issue might be either with the drivers or some graphic settings (playing with screen sizes for startup does not fix that), as very strangely, scale size on the opened windows and folders goes to 100 from 150 %, to which I have it naturally set.
I am running 3840 x 2160 res with nvidia 1080 ti.

Please do follow up on the fix, it is a bit embarassing to see such issues with otherwise such a nice and beloved title.

Support
Support

There is an editor update being prepared to fix some issues since the last game update. I'm not sure if that will released separately, though, or with the next game update (no ETA yet). That shouldn't be causing a crash on startup, though.

stranger
stranger
I have had the Exact same problem --- BUT --- I fixed this issue today.

I did NOT follow the instructions for entering the base game data folder location but instead entered the data folder location for the DefEd version

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\Data\

And IT WORKED :)

Had this issue today with windows 10. Did a little research and found out that repairing Microsoft visual C++ could work. But even then I had to go E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\Defed\bin

The EoCAPP.exe worked, so I sent a shortcut to the desktop. A little frustrating that it took most of the afternoon to get it to play after it worked fine last weekend. 🤕

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard