RPG DesignerDesign / Kuala Lumpur / Full -time
- Location: Kuala Lumpur
- team: Design
- position: Full -time
- Apply for this job
With multiple awards to our name, Larian Studios has proven that we’re dedicated to delivering high-quality role-playing games. As we move on to new projects, the studio that brought you Baldur’s Gate 3 & Divinity: Original Sin 2 is looking for an RPG Designer to join the worldbuilding team and help us in crafting the high caliber games our fans have come to expect.
As an RPG Designer you will be working with a team that shapes the world, stories and characters that make for memorable adventures. Working closely with the other departments, the RPG Designer helps transform narrative into fun gameplay that reacts to the player's actions in an impactful way.
- Design narrative and gameplay content within an area of the game, take ownership of the area throughout implementation, and responsibility for its final quality.
- Ensure logical and well paced narrative flow in the combination of situations, dialogs and areas.
- Create solutions for quest design problems and follow their implementation.
- Conduct progress reviews for your area, gathering feedback from the other departments and working with them to reach the optimal finished state.
- Write and update documentation, communicate changes to the teams.
- Take a holistic approach when implementing changes to your region. Every decision will impact a range of departments, so you’ll need to take their limits and priorities into account.
- Understand player motivations and expectations.
- The ability to take the lead of a creative element of the game, communicate with all parties involved, gather feedback, and sink their teeth into it until it's finished.
- The ability to come up with creative solutions to new problems, or identify issues that don't require reinventing the wheel.
- A strong understanding of narrative beats and pacing.
- The ability to imagine what it's like seeing the game for the first time every single day, you understand player expectations.
- The ability to observe players and learn from their actions and filter their feedback.
- A high level of digital literacy and can adapt quickly to new software and tools (G Suite, Confluence, Jira etc.)
- Attention to detail and undaunted by complexity and change
- A great collaborator, has excellent organization and communication skills.
- Comfortable in an agile environment with evolving needs
Nice to haves
- Has handled game engines, has programming skills or implementation experience.
- Has shipped games with a narrative focus
- Has extensive experience as both a player and maker of RPGs.
- Familiarity with Larian’s games and capable of emulating our distinctive style.